Autism Community
Mamma's concerned
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Mamma's concerned

My grandson is 34 months old, and not talking (a few words here and there; not fluent conversational language).  Until a few months ago, he simply babbled like a baby.  Now, he seems to have his own "language" that he appears to think we all understand.  Occasionally, out of the clear blue sky, he comes up with something.  The last time I was there, I kept the kids (there are 4) all weekend.  He kept calling me "mom".  I consistently told him I'm "mamma".  On Sun. morning, he took my hand, said "grandma", led me to his room, picked out a book, and climbed up in my lap for me to read.  That's highly unusual for him.  He's now making better eye contact, and at least when I've been there, not as destructive.  Since he's been able, he's thrown everything, esp. shoes, and been a very destructive child.   He never played with toys appropriately.  Once, he took a carton of eggs out of the 'fridge and threw each egg in the floor.  He wasn't the type of baby that could be held and rocked or cuddled to sleep when he was obviously exhausted.  He wouldn't stay in mom or dad's lap any length of time.  He hears fine; obeys (or not, when he chooses) when told to do/not do something.  He has 3 siblings, but doesn't actually play with them; one is only 17 mo. older than him.  When I was helping the kids dye Easter eggs, I tried to get him interested, but he just went off by himself.  At Christmas, I bought all the kids a stuffed animal that made music and danced.  His was Santa.  When we gave it to him, before installing batteries, he "loved on" Santa, and actually said "Santa".  When we turned Santa on, with music and dancing, he threw the toy as hard as he could and got really upset.  We took Santa's batteries out and tried to re-introduce him, but grandson would have nothing to do with Santa again.  He also has had, since about 18 mo., the flapping of hands when he gets upset or excited.  I talked to son/daughter-in-law a few months ago about having grandson tested for autism spectrum disorder.  Son became defensive; pediatrician says grandson has met all milestones (didn't walk until he was 2), and there's nothing wrong with grandson.  Grandson is youngest of 4 children; am sure mom and dad know he's "different".  Mamma is quite concerned.  If grandson has ASD (or other developmental delay) he needs help sooner than later.  Any suggestions as to what mamma can do now to get grandson tested?
Tags: grandson, Autism, testing, Developmental