Autism Community
Not my baby too...

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Not my baby too...

My freshly one year old won't sleep.  He wakes and screams at least three time a night.  He has always had relux and is a very picky eater.  He flalls his head back and forth a lot.   he is loud and he used to say mamamam very clearly and now only says nanananan... His older brother has asperger's syndrome.  I'm freaking out.  I need some advice....  Everything changed after my oldest got his mmr.  and now my baby.   we didn't know he already had one shot.  I'm on the fence about the vaccines.  This is all so fresh....

Help.
charlie
Well the sleep thing can happen with any child..so I wouldnt look at that as just an autism trait....is he pointing, clapping, nodding...does he understand you...does he have eye contact...how is he with playing with toys....has he gotten all his immunizations?
heres a good website..this is the one found on the Autismspeaks website

http://www.firstsigns.org/healthydev/milestones.htm
He does clap.  He nodds no a lot but It's in a head flalling way.  He doesn't point.  He does understand me but is easily distracted.  "go get the purple ball", and he does.  So, that's a one step command...  He doesn't speak, just babble or jarggin...  Eye contact is sometimes forced. His one year bday was yesterday so I guess it's just a wait and see what unfolds type of thing.....
Thanks for the website, I'll check it out tomorrow..

Charlie
When my daughter was younger, she did not sleep well. She didn't sleep through the night until about 15 months and even now she doesn't always.  We had the crib in our bedroom since she was born, and after she woke up the first time, we started putting her in bed with us when she was about 10 months.  She's been sleeping in her own room since 15 months when she started sleeping through the night more.  Yeah, I know doctors tell you not to do that stuff like bed sharing, but when you have a king sized bed, there's enough room.  We made the heat warm enough that we didn't need any blankets.  At 10 months she was also big enough we weren't as afraid of her being too small and accidently rolling over on her (we never did).  Plus I figured, that when I didn't get enough sleep because I was waking up 3 times a night dealing with a screaming child, I was so sleep deprived during the day I was afraid of being so tired I'd drop her (I didn't but that was my fear).  We had her in the room with us, sometimes same bed with us, and that helped her some.  I also started baby wearing her in a sling around 6 months and did that until about 18 months (she didn't walk until 15 months and even then still liked to be carried around).  
My girl is now in a 0 to 3 program, addressing issues.  If you have questions for your pediatrician, ask them at the well child checkup, or if you don't want to wait, schedule a doctors visit or call the office.  Getting in these 0 to 3 programs is good, and they are based on how much income you make, and are either free or very low cost (we pay $3 a session).  Getting in early is good. But, if there aren't enough problems, you won't qualify.  They  have to behind a certain amount before you qualify.  The pediatrician should have a good sense of that.
I would just keep an eye on him and call early intervention (0-3 program).  If you are concerned with vaccines, I would hold off on all vaccines until you can get a clearer picture of what is going on.  I'm not anti-vaccine, but I think the current vaccine schedule is overloaded.