Autism Community
Not sure what to do. Am i just being stupid?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

I was reading the page about Autism on wikipedia and noticed that i have a lot of the characteristics of an Autistic person. I was wondering if anybody had any advice about whether i should look into it more or if they think i am over reacting. If i should go into this further well... what do i do? Is it something that any doctor can talk to me about? Or school counsellor or the nurse maybe?
You're not stupid. As far as having the characteristics, I believe if just about everyone was honest with themself, they'd find some autistic behavior or another.

I think most people have varying degrees of autism, but not at a level that gets the diagnosis.  Where it becomes an issue is if you're finding yourself very stressed out in certain situations and finding some things a struggle.

I suspect everyone is annoyed with a flickering burnt out flourescent light bulb.  I'd even think that it would greatly annoy many people to have a "strobe" over their head. Just most people brush this off and not think about it. I'm sure it may dampen their mood a little, maybe not at an obvious level.

But for someone who is at the diagnosable range of autism MAY (empasis on "MAY") not be able to just ignore the light and get past that frustration. It'd be always on their conscious mind, "There's this light flickering over my head, distracting me from all my thoughts..." and they may not be able to mask that feeling of frustration and put it off until they go home.  No they may have their tantrum right there on the spot.

Where I stand:  I get greatly annoyed with burnt out light bulbs. The normal working ones don't bother me as much unless they buzz really loud (mecury vapor and sodeum bulbs do this more often), but if I have to, I can kind of push it to the back of my mind and get whatever done as long as I don't have to stay in that spot for an extended amount of time.
It does dampen my mood while I am there. I may grunt or gasp a little frustration, but otherwise not really show it. It'll just add up until I expload at something else...

I've learned I can take some advantage at my diagnosis and tell people I am autistic and the light does bother me, if they can get it changed.  So far this works very well.  I'm sure in the process I help out many other people, autistic or not that otherwise may not have been able or willing to speak up.
-----------------
Social awkwardness:  I suspect a lot of this may be common, but as an autistic person, I seem to notice it more and dwell on it much longer. In some cases I truely did blunder with or without realizing it. Other times I may have perceived myself to have blundered even though what I did may have been normal for the circumstance...  It's hard tell because "normal" people goof in situations... Autistic people goof in situations... Just how to know if your goof is a "right" goof...  A goof is a goof... Either way the goofer is left feeling socially awkward and inept..

If you find yourself feeling awkward quite a lot, maybe that's a sign of being autistic. It's really hard to say.
Noises: Do you get bothered by noises? I'm sure many people do, but for me sometimes it can trigger a spook reflex.  Say a large no muffler truck or a big harley motercycle cruises right under an overpass, or a semi break squeaks or just the engine...

People please tell me I'm not alone that I get very sore ears when that occurs....

Anyways, I may jolt a bit, cover my ears and start darting away from the noise.  I don't really "feel" afraid, but more pain of some sort and if I don't catch myself, I may try to dart across the street to escape.If I'm really jolted from immense anixety triggered by extremely loud traffic, I form a temperary form of tunnel vision and may or may not always spot cars outside of my central vision field or accurately perceive distances... I may think a car is farther away than it is and may not be able to see cars making turns that will cross my path as I am in the process of crossing the cross walk... (Seriously that should be illegal!!!!)
You can read my last comment to Mich97 on one of her topics... where I question whether or not I have aspergers (don't feel like copying/pasting).  I'm an adult... so I guess for me, getting a diagnosis wouldn't really help because I can't take advantage of things in a school situation.  Currently I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I couldn't take advantage of special accomodations in a work environment either.  And even if I did get a diagnosis, don't think my family members would understand because they don't even think my daughter has autism (she was diagnosed recently with PDD and she does have a lot of autistic tendencies and traits).  

But, being in school.... there are a lot of things you could get accomodations for.  Not sure if a diagnosis would help you make more friends, but it might help your teachers help you out if your grades or attention on class is not what it should be.  There might be downsides of getting diagnosed... something to bring up with your parents, if they are open to the discussion.  Sometimes parents are afraid to talk about things that they'll just say "no you don't, end of discussion."  Or at least that's how my parents were about most everything.

Oh, and yeah, you would probably get the school counselors to help you out with things.  They might give you ideas on how to socialize better.  My husband had to go see a child psychiatrist (outside of school) to help him with social issues when he was in middle school.  His parents were given a lot of advice, stuff like enroll him in drama class (he was great at memorizing scripts but had problems with conversations), get him to interact with people outside his age group (he joined his father's bridge/card club and also started learning magic tricks to give magic shows for preschoolers birthday parties).   Anyways, each person is different, so what is right to help one person out, well, regardless of whether you have autism/aspergers, if you have anxiety or concerns about how you are coping in school and in life, then go see a counselor to get advice.  Some counselors are helpful... and others aren't... so I guess you have to make sure you aren't wasting your time getting stuck with one who doesn't care.