Autism Community
OCD at 2?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

OCD at 2?

My grandson is 2 years old.  If I am sitting in a chair and I get up to get a glass of water and someone else sits in the chair, he get upset and pulls at the person to get out of Nanny's chair.  He will go poo in the toilet but he pees in his pants (actually that is why his mother has him in diapers strill). His mother says when she pick him up at daycare she has to wait at least 15 minutes as he has to put all the toys away that are left out.    Should I be worried about my grandson?  Will he grow out of this?  I heard that early OCD in a child is an early sign of Autism?  Really?
Hi there!
    After reading what you wrote, I don't see anything for you to be concerned about. My oldest daughter was approx. two and a half before I could get her to go potty on the toilet and then it took a while longer to get her out of diapers! Boys tend to be slower than girls anyway ... so I would suggest not to fret about the potty training, your grandson will 'get it.'  
   As far as the incident with someone sitting in your chair ... all I can say is that he obviously knew that you had been sitting there and he was 'protecting' Nanny's chair! :-)  Again, nothing I would worry about - sounds as though he is just being a typical two year old, that's all!
   There was nothing you wrote about that made any 'red flags' go up. I believe that he is progressing and behaving like any ordinary two year old boy. My oldest was hyperactive and it was often difficult to keep her attention but I never worried about it. She worked out just fine and I have no doubt your grandson will do the same. Just enjoy him and this period in his life, it all rushes by so quickly as you well know! Take care ...
I agree that you do not need to worry about potty training yet. My daughter was past 4 years old before she was fully potty trained. She is now 6 (and has autism) and only occasionally has accidents at night. Keep encouraging him to potty train and don't give up. It could still take a couple years though.

Now, my DD does have impulsive behaviors like that. For instance she gets incredibly agitated if we wear our hats, gloves, or mittens inside. It just is NOT right. She also has to make sure certain items are in order before she can leave. The lights all HAVE to be turned off, the computers too. If she is doing a craft ALL the little pieces have to be in place. So, I would say that IS a red flag. I am not saying your grandson has autism though. I have never met him so the next step is to talk to his pediatrician and if need be get a referral to a developmental pediatrician. As a mother of an autistic child those are the similarities I am noticing between our children. Good luck on your journey and let us know if you have more questions.