Autism Community
Question about transistioning
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Question about transistioning

If I spelled that right lol

Anyway I have a 5 yr old diagnosed with high functioning autism. He has the weirdest school schedule Ive ever seen. Supposedly year round yet this month they had TWO weeks off! His teacher and I had a hard time getting him into the routine of school after summer break but yesterday he pushed a classmate (his best friend too) for no reason and wouldnt stop pushing him and when his teacher corrected him the 5th time he hit her!

How can I prevent more of this in the future? Hes in prek right now and will start kindergarten next year :(
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
Yes, this is a difficult stage and schools breaks can be difficult times for a child with autism to re-learn school atmosphere again after the break.  It is difficult, but one has to be patient. During school breaks, talking about school, keeping school pictures around (of class-room, with friends, with teachers) and playing ‘school-school’ at time may help. Also, you can discuss with the school psychologists about ways to keep him distracted in school. His teacher can be an integral part of these discussions. You along with his school teacher and his doctor have to find a way to work with him, making him feel important, and keep him fruitfully engaged and happy. This will reduce such events in future.
Hope this helps. Take care!
Blank
Thank you :)
Blank
Just a quick question relating to my son again. An idea I had is that I pick him up some various activity books and have him do select "homework" out of them that is befitting his educational level. Does anyone think this could help with his transitioning too?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Autism Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...