Autism Community
Sensory Integration Dysfunction

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Sensory Integration Dysfunction

Can a child have sensory integration dysfunction without having autism?  Can these symptoms be some of the same warning signs that autistic children have?  Like with auditory processing, not responding to own name.  Sensory issues and also the repetitive behaviors that are self stims like arm flapping and spinning and that sort of stuff?  And if sensory integration therapy is helping all these issues, then is it just the senses and not other things?

I am just so confused right now, waiting to get my daughter in to the developmental pediatrician.  Her 3 therapists all think she has autism, but I really don't know.  3 weeks of sensory integration therapy, and she is showing vast improvements in such a short time... like her eye contact is getting better (it's still pretty bad, but getting better).  She isn't fighting diaper changes or bathtime shampoos anymore and is transitioning better between activities.  I also think her receptive language is improving.  Sometimes she actually can understand what I'm saying like "get the ball" and get the ball, maybe like 25% of the time.  Other times she still doesn't.  But it's better than before when she never understood and couldn't follow directions ever.  She still has some aversions to touch.  I'm the only one she likes to pick her up.  She won't wear a hat or a blanket and won't touch a picture book.  But she is now also letting me wash her hands which she fought before.  Though today was the first time she pointed.  She pointed at something in a book.  It was a page with the alphabet on it.  She started imitating her grandmother pointing at the book.  I have been pointing at the alphabet for weeks now with no luck.  And today she sees her grandmother doing it and she pointed to a few letters and then stopped.  First time she pointed at anything though.  I'm hoping that keeps up.  Not sure if that's because of the sensory integration therapy or not.  One of her therapists seems to think not pointing can be a sensory thing.

So, that makes me wonder if it's just a sensory integration thing and not autism, or if it's just part of the therapy for autism and is working within 3 weeks?  I'm so confused.  She's not really saying much words still but maybe repeating a word now and then, like maybe repeating a word she hears once a day if that, but she's learning sign language quickly, like several words a week with her therapists.  

I hate waiting... I keep getting so hopeful that with therapy 3 times per week, these symptoms will go away in a few months, that when she gets to the doctors visit, everything will be fine and she'll be speaking and looking at people and initiating communication and all that.  It will probably take more than 3 months to get to that point, and maybe I am just dreaming... even if it is just a sensory thing and not autism, it will probably take years of therapy.  *sigh*  Should I be hopeful?  

Does anyone know anything about sensory integration dysfunction?  
  My son, Micah is 7 years old and he has been diagnosed with sensory integration disorder, BP, OCD, and PDD. We are awaiting our next appointment with his neurologist she ordered a lot of test Asperser syndrome has come up so many times.

Sensory integration disorder and or sensory processing disorder isn’t the same thing as autism although a lot of children who have Autism also suffer from SID.  SID usually runs with something (ADD, mood disorders, developmental delays, ect) I will always remember the first day Micah went into O.T. therapy. He didn’t respond well to the therapist and didn’t enjoy anything they were doing but now almost 5 years later what a difference it has made not only in his life but also in mine.

I want to tell you that O.T. therapy does work it takes time but don’t give up.
With my son it seemed like we worked on certain things and by the time we accomplished those goals two more sensory problems popped up. My son didn’t start talking till he was around 3 ½ 4.  And the whole eye contact is still a work in progresses he is just starting to give eye contact. Sounds like your daughter is still young Be patient with her, there was so many times I walked out of O.T crying when I saw him doing something for the first time, or when he didn't respond well.  

I’m not sure how well you are familiar with all the sensory stuff that is available? Have you ever tried a weighted lap blanket while she was looking at a book? Or a body sock? There are so many things that are available to our sensory sensitive kids. Have you heard of a sensory diet? All of these things doesn’t require a doctor my son has an O.T room yes a swing, a big ball pit, lap blanket, a steamroller, and the list goes on. That is how sensory crazy he is….  a lot of these sensory problems are things that we have to help them find a way to replace what they haven’t yet received or learned how to deal with.
For example Micah is a biter he will bite someone if he feels the urge for oral deep pressure so I have replaced the biting with a bubble ball, he can bite on that anytime he wants but him biting others, or himself, or the animals, are unacceptable behaviors.  And he will go to time- out. He has a sensory toolbox, which is carried around through out his daily life. I have trained him on using these items. I watched his O.T therapist very closely to see how he response to all of the sensory things I remember the first time he went and the lady went over the evaluation and I was like ok lady whatever. But I have seen how well kids with all types of problems, mental, autism, ADD, has benefited greatly from sensory diets and sensory activates.  Your child might not like some of these things but you will have to help her over come those things.  I remember the first time we stuck Micah’s hand in a bucket of rice he screamed he didn’t like the texture but now he likes it so much that he has a rice table in his O.T room.

Ok so I better stop I will be more than happy to answer any question that you have (as long as I know the answer)

I’m going to end this with; it takes a lot of patients to take care of a child with special needs. You can really drive yourself crazy with thinking about all the things that could be wrong with your child but try and be patient. With Micah I have learned there are days that we must take a minute at a time and then there are times that I want to keep in my memories forever.   Sorry so long………..