Autism Community
Sensory vs behavior
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sensory vs behavior

Will try to make this short and sweet...I am an OT and started working with a teen with autism.  She had increased behaviors after moving schools and finally settled into her new school.  She communicates best with a field of 2 and thus far I have figured out she is holding her urine and BM for control.  After several questions...I also figured out she wants to become more independent but mom wants her to get more sensory.  She likes the sensory room but doesn't interact with anything.  She enjoys fidget toys and my take on why...she has visual issues and doesn't like certain movements (some of her meds changed and since then she has shown fear when riding in a car...I don't know the meds).  Suggested a consult with an eye md and mom refuses because there are increased behaviors with md appointments.  She is fed because when she self feeds she makes a mess (mom doesn't want her to make a mess)...as an OT I am frustrated with what she wants and what her mom wants...I am feeling defeated and I don't know how to help because my professional opinion doesn't matter.  I feel this student is a typical teen and acting out with behaviors because she has NO control.  Is there any research supporting behavior vs. sensory?