Autism Community
Some tips appreciated

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Some tips appreciated

Ive recently learned through word of mouth that it would be beneficial to my boys (5&2) that they be on a diet. Looking into this I learned that those with Autism fair better on a gluten and casein free diet. Im experimenting with this tomorrow with some gluten and casein free product to see how difficult a change over will be should their Dr agree to this diet. I was just wondering if anyone had any insight?
Hi.  I attempted this switch.  I personally didn't see any change in my son so did not continue it but literature suggests that some kids do indeed benefit.  

Today, it is much easier.  The health section of your grocery store probably has many things that are gluten free marked right on the packaging to give you a broad selection of things to try.  

Also, if you have a big university in your area, you can contact them to see if they have a dietary specialist that can help you come up with some recipes and ideas specific to your sons' tastes.  I mention the university because sometimes it can be a little cheaper that way.  But a private practice dietician would be great too if you can afford it.

Check your library.  There are tons of books now about this too!  Whole recipe books.  

I have a friend that swears by her black bean brownies.  (yep, black bean).  I'll see if I can find that recipe.  
Black bean brownies? Wow... lol. Thankfully Im a culinary student so Im totally going to be experimenting. I think Ive changed my mindset from owning a restaurant to helping parents with special needs kids with various foods.
Hi there.  My son has autism and also has a gluten allergy so we had to go gluten free.  I can tell you that we saw a HUGE difference in his behavior.  I have read that it either helps a lot or doesn't help at all.  I would definitely give it a shot but if you do it, you have to give it time.  It takes a while (up to 6 months) for the gluten to be totally out of a body.  But it wouldn't/shouldn't take that long to see results if it is going to work.  

Just know that it can cause some regressive behavior while you first do it.  But give it a shot.  I can help with brands too if you decide to do it.  We've been gluten free for 3 years now.  There are a whole lot of items out there now, as specialmom said.  

Good luck!
I would also find a way to add fish oil into their diet. That has worked well for my daughter.