Autism Community
Son is making noises

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Son is making noises

My 5 year old son has started making noises while watching t.v. and at dinner. Sometimes it sounds like grunting, throat clearing, and mostly while watching t.v. its more of a high (huh) or (hum) sound. He does this every couple seconds or minutes. This has been going on now for a month, and came on out of no where. He was diagnosed with a speech problem when he was 3 years and has been in Special Ed for the Speech.He has a really hard time concentrating on things he does not want to do and at times a little disruptive. Autism had been ruled out at this school so no services are in place for such a disabilty. Is it just a tic or something more like Tourrettes or Autism afterall? I am worried and don't want him having any trouble in school.
Hi there! My son has sensory integration disorder and during the evaluations, humming and making noises is discussed.  Very common with sensory kids.  It can be a nervous impulse to self calm or to alert oneself.  

My son also had some speech issues as a toddler that were related to sensory.  Motor planning is part of the sensory system and if the signals are even a little off, a child can have articulation problems.  It can go the full extent of not being able to organize/take in things said to them or organize/put together into sentenses what they want to say (receptive and expressive speech).  My son was mild and just had articulation issues.  He also found handwriting hard and would avoid it.  

My son also had a very very hard time sitting.  He'd do activities at school briefly and move on.  

Sensory integration disorder involves the nervous system and kids can have an underactive system or an over active system.  My son also is what they call a sensory seeker.  he likes to spin and crash.  

he was diagnosed at 4 and now at 8 is doing really awesome.  We've done lots of activities to slow that engine down (as we call it) and get him organized internally and regulated over all.  He has no IEP at school at this point and is functioning really well.  

The web site "sensory processing disorder" is excellent (think it may show up as spd and spd is another name for sensory integration disorder---  they are the same thing).  If you look at that and think it fits at all, let me know.  I have about 2000 little things you can do in the classroom and at home to help.  good luck
My granddaughter does the same thing,they had also thought it was first stage of autism,but they cant seem to pin point the problem..she was born at 23 weeks and as had alot of health issues..The past year she seems to be getting worse and i dont know how to help  or even if i do need to do something ..She does good at school other than making these weird sounds for no reason..She also has a speech problem..Do you think maybe thats way they do that?
I don't know where you live, but you should look into your local Regional Center I know if you live in CA they can help with a diagnosis.  As far as the behavior, I will not say it could not be SID as Specialmom has indicated her child has been dignosed with, but it could very well be Autism and your child is Stimming (form of self stimulation).  My son often stims, and most recently started a grunting stim in addtion to his squeal and tongue knocking sound he makes.
My son has this too, he is 8 and the noises are getting worse and interfering with school activities now. All the children in his class tell him they find him irritating and he is a huge sensory seeker. All tips would be helpful as I feel for him. He is very bright and this just seems to make it worse!