Autism Community
Speech Therapy Ideas
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Speech Therapy Ideas

I would like to know what I can do to help my autistic son's speech come around.  He mumbles and whines alot.  He barely communicates with us with clear verbage.  Can anyone give me ideas to help him use his tounge and lips?
Related Discussions
-11 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Is he in speech therapy?  He should be getting speech therapy, and I'm sure the therapist would have a lot of ideas for you.
Blank
325405_tn?1262293778
How old is he?  You could try over exagerating all the letters of the alphabet, and maybe letting him put his hand in your mouth while you pronounce the letters.  I'm not a speech therapist and my daughter isn't speaking yet at all (she's learning sign language and pictures), so not sure how to advise you on taht.

Blank
293420_tn?1243146538
Are you using picture supports? I'm a Speech Therapist at an Elementary School in Central Florida with a high population of children with Autism. Do you want him to communicate in general or do you want him to speak? Picture supports work amazingly well for children with Autism. You can teach yourself visual phonics and that might help with him learning to use his articulators to create sounds. Only work on one sound at a time. Use a search engine to find "visual phonics"...it's a great program that was tested and is used in various counties around Florida. I'm currently studying the SCERTS methods for Autism as well. Does he get disregulated when he can't communicate with you? Picture supports would be my first step. A program called Boardmaker is absolutely amazing and has every picture you can ever imagine. Use a digital camera to take pictures of everyday objects in his life so that he can communicate his needs and wants without getting frustrated.

He should be receiving Speech Therapy. How old is he? Your local public schools should have a program depending on his age. They have programs such as Early Steps for younger children and Child Find for ages three and older. These services are free and very helpful!

Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Autism Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank