Autism Community
Toilet Issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Toilet Issues

My nine year old nephew is still weeting himself on a regular basis. He sometimes also soils himself. It happens at school as well as at home and there is no pattern. he does it of he is told off, when he is laughing and playing and for no reason at all. He has recently been diagnosed with mild autism and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can help him or ways to prevent or stop this from happening.
You note that your nephew is still wetting himself, so I am wondering if he was every totally toilet trained (is he perhaps “schedule trained”, so that as long as he is taken to the toilet on a regular basis he stays dry?).  Is he on any kind of an individualized education plan at school?  How do the professionals at his school manage the toileting?  One note: many people with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are not as sensitive to the social consequences of their behavior as typically developing individuals.  That is one reason why you nephew may not be motivated to stay dry (and also why he may not be particularly bothered by being “told off”).  Your nephew is well past the age where most children are toilet trained and therefore I recommend you obtain the services of a behavior analyst to develop a specific  training program tailored to meet your nephew’s needs (perhaps there might be someone from his school team who could help or recommend someone).  A book I typically recommend to anyone toilet training any child is: Azrin, N., & Foxx, R. M. (1974) Toilet Training in Less Than a Day. Simon and Schuster, NY.  It is written for typically developing children, but the basics of the toilet training procedures apply to everyone.  Also if you do an Internet search for books on potty training you will find many, and even a few written for help with children with ASDs.  The main reason for recommending a behavior analyst is that you will need to adapt the training procedures in these books to such a degree, you will need help from someone with the proper experience and training.  Finally, you could start one thing on your own: taking data on the frequency of the wetting, etc. Be sure to include that date and time.  Sometimes even though a pattern is not obvious, when it is written down and examined over the course of a week or two, a pattern emerges.  If not, there may be a pattern that has something to do with events as opposed to the passing of time.  Again, a qualified behavior analyst would be on great help in determining this and creating a plan to address the behavior.  Hope it goes well.