Autism Community
Zoloft and Autism

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Zoloft and Autism

I took Zoloft when I was pregnant ( for panic attacks), now she is 4 and diagnosed with Autism. Did I cause her Autism?
The only thing I found out was:  respiratory problems, bluish coloring of the skin, irregular breathing, muscular problems, vomiting, and constant crying after exposure late in the third trimester.

The blue coloring and breating will be noted on her APGAR score I would think.

Did you breast feed?  There are some cautions with any drug and breast milk.

Just a gut feeling, but I think not.  In any case, we can't go back & change the past, we just gotta move forward.  

I am glad I read this! I also was on Zoloft while pregnant with my son and he was recently at age of 4 diagnosed with Autism. I honestly believe no matter what others say it has to do with taking anti depressents during pregnancy. My pregnancy was fine until I started on my meds and my son ended up being  born 5 weeks early than my other son I also was on anti depressants for beginning of pregnancy and having  problems until I quit taking them and pregnancy went normal. That son does not have autism but is very hyperactive. All my doctors say no  its not  nothing to do with being on anti depressants  they were all tested to be fine for pregnant womean but I think they are full of ****! my oldest daughter is normal and calm and I didnt take any meds with her but yet the 3 I did  one with autism and the other  very hyper active. But , do NOT blame yourself ,  cause it sounds like you are and it  is not any way your fault at all.
It makes me want to cry. I took Zoloft while I was pregnant with my oldest son, he is 8 years old now and is diagnosed with Autism. He also has issues with his feet, which they said there is a study that zoloft causes joint issues with children while the mother is pregnant with them. I have another son who is 20 months old now and I didn't take any medication with him and he is perfectly normal. While I wouldn't change my oldest son, I wish I had known back when I was pregnant with him not to take that medicine. I wouldn't change him for nothing now. You can not change the past, but you can change the outcome of your future. I have accepted his Autism and I am willing to assist him with any needs he may have.