anxiety/autism
hello there,
we have just put our 10 year old son on zoloft. He has autism and severe anxiety disorder with separation anxiety as well as OCD and Tourette's and ADD.

I feel like a terrible mother putting him on this medication but we have tried all the natural alternatives and nothing has worked and he is begging for help with his anxiety.

Am I a bad mother? i feel so awful.
Thanks.
You are absolutely not a bad mother! You are a good mother for being open to the possibility that zoloft may be his only reprieve from the anxiety. I have been on zoloft for years and it's been a Godsend. Some people need that extra help and if it relieves your sons anxiety, then it is a good thing. There are very few side effects and withdrawal is minimal. Stay away from paxil though. Good Luck!
Thanks so much! I am so happy to hear that zoloft has worked for you. I am praying it works for our son. Thanks for the wonderful advice. I really appreciate that so much because I feel so much guilt. Thanks for your kind words.
Shari
Have you tried giving your son Vitamin B6 and B12 and Omega 3-6-9 along with Children Multivitamin every day  .

I know people who have taken Zoloft and it did nothing for them.

You need to look at the side effects to the Medicine's you try and see if any of them have the side effects that could be causing the Anxiety .

If your son has ever been on any ADD drugs they can cause him to have the Anxiety that he is having,along with other very bad side effects people get from those drugs.
I also have a child with autism and he has severe anxiety and compulsions and his anxiety got in the way of everyday living.  So much so that as a four year old, even though he loved Dora the Explorer, he was not able to watch a new episode of a show because of the anxiety associated with the newness of it.

I have never regretted putting my son on anti anxiety meds from an early age because of the massive improvement I saw in his quality of life.  I also suffered from severe anxiety as times and have had the occasion to be medicated.  I had a huge problem with this until I saw massive improvements within weeks.  

If this is what will help your son do not feel guilty.  In a perfect world no one would need any medication.  But it isn't perfect and our bodies sometimes don't work properly.

Take care
Take comfort that you are doing the best with the information you have