Autism Community
benign infantile hypotonia + autism

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

benign infantile hypotonia + autism

My 14mth old son has hypotonia (floppy baby syndrome) he has had all the genetic testing done which all came back normal. He is very affectionate boy and has the most gorgeous smile that makes the day brighter. He has alot of odd behaviour patterns like banging his head on things he self stimulates eg when in high chair will keep turning his head from side to side until he either falls asleep or i take him out of the high chair.he plays with same toys over and over his behaviour is so repetative he won't answer to his name and he has a twin brother who he doesn't really notice. the pediatrician did a developmental assessment at 12mths and he has receptive language delay and is behind developmentally by 6mths. My gut feeling all along has told me there is something else and I would like to know what anyone thinks he is really affectionate oh and over the past few weeks he has really developed a temper and often we have trouble working out what is annoying him. Am i being silly ?
If you are thinking of autism, then you could have a look on the Health Page, which you can access by clicking on the icon on the top right hand side of this forum page.  I have posted the Diagnostic Criteria DSM IV for autism and people have posted examples of the behaviour that meets the diagnostic criteria.  That might give you an idea of the types of things the professionals are looking for.  He is young at 14 months, but you can still raise your concerns with his paediatrician and you can find out a bit about autism and sensory issues so that you've got a better understanding of whether the types of things your child is doing is relevant or not.
It is also quite possible to have certain autistic traits, but not enough of them in all the right areas to get a diagnosis of autism.  In that case you might get a diagnosis of PDD NOS.  But have a look at the Health Page and see if that clarifies anything.
you arnt being silly i have a severely autistic son and he is does similar things my son is very affectionate but it is on his terms
I will take him to a developmental pediatrician for a tes, he is young but the sooner u find out, the easier is to help him and yourself, my son was diagnosed with Pdd and has those tantrums and he is difficult to deal with also he has mild hypotonia, I notice this when he was 18 months old and told the doctor but he didn't think it was something to worry about.I finally I went to a dev ped 18 months later.... Now in the process of starting therapy