Autism Community
could my 2 year old have autism

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

could my 2 year old have autism

hi, i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please my son is 2 in june and im a bit concerned about him when he was 6 weeks and he had his check at the dr they said he had poor muscle tone and he didnt have good contact eyes he was reffered to the hospital for his eyes they were a bit behind his age but after having regular appointments this improved to normal he was seen by a phyisotherapist for his muscle tone but they said he was fine but came until he walked at 14 months however he has been doing piculiar things lining his cars or other objects up in lines stacks them on top of each other, spins round in circles shakes his head walks on his tip toes only says 3 words now but wen he was 18 month could say what is it where is it my mummy now he only says ball, mummy back. he also seems to hold his head as if its on his shoulder when hes running and covers his ears with his hands has a bad temper also does not sleep. he also had a fit in feb so he is under the nerologist for this and has had a brain scan and is due to have a egg on thurs and will get the outcome of these in a few months am i over reacting ? there is a history of autism and adhd in my family ps also do you know if he did have autism or sensory issues would it show on a brain scan thanks
Hi there.  Well, I am the mother of a boy with sensory integration disorder.  He's now 8 but we started looking into sensory when he was 2.9 months old and he was officially diagnosed at 4.  There was some grey area for a bit with him in which we knew something was going on but not exactly sure if it was sensory. We never had a brain scan bur instead, it was a physical evaluation mixed wtih behaviors that lead to diagnosis.  

Things you mention that are similar to my husband include spinning.  My son is underresponsive to spinning and could spin for a very long time never getting dizzy.  In fact, he craved this and was actually doing it to soothe himself.  He would **** his head a bit to the side and put his arms out and spin and spin.  He is sensitive to sound and covers his ears.  He was behind in his core strength for his age/low muscle tone.  He did speak but had articulation issues.  He also lined things up (but would use something to crash into them).  He had meltdowns that came out of no where (it seemed) and couldn't self calm himself once he was in that mode.  He did toe walk as he has tactile sensitivity and certain things on his feet felt 'yucky'.  So he tip toed.

Now often sensory integration disorder can be on its own OR it is with something such as autism.  I believe your child's loss of words is a sign of autism and his lack of words as well.  Speech is also affected by sensory integration disorder in terms of motor planning and processing.  Three parts of speech are receptive (understanding what is said to you), expressive (getting a thought together and saying something back) and arituclation (making the sounds with the oral motor muscles).  It takes a lot to process speech.  My son has motor planning difficulty.  He has to work at organizing his thought as he processes slowly and so speaking what he wants to say doesn't always come out smoothly.  Motor planning affects things like chewing as well.  Also all fine motor activities and gross motor activities.  My son was better at gross motor but he avoided fine motor all together.  (wanted nothing to do with coloring).  

Anyway, I'd be happy to discuss sensory more with you if you are interested.  

My best advice for either issue and with what you've written is for you to set up an appt. with a developmental specialist to start assessing your child.  Intervention is so very helpful.  

My son did early intervention and now at 8 is doing fantastic.  He has no support at this time at school as he is functioning well.  He does occupational therapy weekly which is so helpful and occupational therapists are the specialty that work on sensory integration disorder.  He's been going since he was 4!  

Anyway, stay in touch and I'm happy to help any way I can.  Sensory can be made much better and I'm happy to share things we did if you are interested.