Autism Community
does my 6 year old have autism?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

does my 6 year old have autism?

i have always known there was something different about my son the way he is i have another child and didnt have any problems like this with the other , he didnt speak until he was 4 , he still struggles to know how to act around kids his own age , he is very aggressive especially when we go places or you put the wrong clothes on him , he doesnt like ppl touching him , but he loves cuddles ( on his terms ) he hates playing tig and loud unexpected noises ,gives little eye contact , we need to be careful what he watches on tv as he will; copy a complete scene from a movie/tv show , he constantly lies on the floor playing with his toys but usually his play is different , he will lie on the floor and watch the wheels go round on his cars ,  doesnt always answer when u say his name , its so difficult to find food he likes as he refuses so many different types because of how they look/smell/feel  he has been attendng a  psychologist.for a while and she told me he is on the autism  spectrum , i have also had other ppl ask me if he has autism ( a support worker for autistic kids ) but one of my family members works with autistic adults and they said he is fine , which i know he is not something is not right i have lived with him for 6 years i know him well , i am awaiting an official diagnosis i just keep thinking that i am a bad mum and thats why he is the way he is i try very hard  to keep things as relaxed as possible for him , on a good day u are just waiting on him to turn any help would be appreciated ? thank you
Yep, that sounds like autism. I would go with what the psychologist says who is working with your child versus the one who has not. Is he getting any speech or occupational therapy?
Hi thank u for ur comment , yes he gets speech therapy , he doesn't have an Occupational therapy though , his speech has improved lately its just so hard trying to deal with the way he is I bought him a planner and write everything in that we have planned for the day and he loves it
Kids on the spectrum tend to work very well with schedules. We've used a lot of PECS schedules (pictures cards). We also work on the idea of "first...then."  An occupational therapist could help more with his aggression and sensory issues (ie dealing with different textures of clothing) than the speech therapist. Both are very important. Let us know if you get a diagnosis.
Hi! My twelve year old brother was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, which is a form of Autism, when he was about five. He acts almost exactly like that to this day. He lacks the socail skills that his peers have and that's probably the hardest thing. I am not going to tell you that he is Autistic, being that I would rule Anything and Everything out before I say your child's Autistic. This might seem funky but I do not suggest taking him to a psychiatrist. Boys with Autism do not like to express their feelings, they think that it is very embarrassing. I do recomend going to an Autism specialist just to see if he does in fact have Autism. :) If he is Autistic, I'm truly happy for you. They are blessings. <3