Autism Community
is my son slightly autistic

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

is my son slightly autistic

My son is almost 3 years old. He seems to be completely normal except for a few things which concern me. I have read quite a few blogs and online articles regarding autism but he doesnt show most of the signs. He speaks and communicates well and is not clumsy. He doesnt stack or arrange things in order.

Here are my concerns: He has always freaked out over loud noises. Sometimes he cries and runs to me, other times he will state "that's loud, I dont like that car, that's loud." He loves to look at animals in pictures and on tv but he is afraid of them. It takes him days to warm up to my parents dog. When he finally allows you to put him down rather than carry him out in the yard, he's fine as long as the dog doesnt come near. Or sometimes when she is near, he will even pet her back as long as she is not looking at him. He always notices smells and comments, "I smell....," or "whats that smell?" If it is bright at all he will ask for his sunglasses. My other children would wear sunglasses but only for a short time before getting bored with them and breaking them.

Behaviorally, you can take a toy and put it up or turn off the tv and he will throw a fit. If you tell him he needs to put a toy away or turn the tv off, he might say "I dont want to" or something  but you can rationalize with him and he will obey. he is like this with everything. If you explain things to him, he is less obstinate. My other children could be stubborn or rebellious at times but after being disciplined they came to accept the motto "mom's in charge, we do what she says because she told us so." I never felt I had to explain my reasons to my other children but yet I feel I have to cater to him in this way because he is over the top otherwise.

I would have never allowed this type of behavior from my other children but because of the other odd behaviors he exibits, I tend to put up with more from him; thinking there may be a problem. I would like to know, is there anyone else who has a child with just slight issues like this? and if so, has their child been diagnosed with any mild disorder.
Hello. I feel your frustration and from what you are describing, I am hearing a child with sensory integration disorder or maybe social anxiety, adhd??? There are mild forms of autism but it doesn't really sound like that in my opinion. I would definatly have him evaluated by an occupational therapist and go from there. Is he in any school? Was he evaluated by the early on program in your state?
Check this out or google autism test online, this may give some idea...

http://www.childbrain.com/pddassess.html
Hi,  most of what you describe are symptoms of sensory integration disorder or issues.  It is just an issue if he can cope and function.  We all have some sensory issues.  It is a disorder if a child can't cope.  My son couldn't cope.  He also doesn't like bright sun and makes a BIG deal out of it.  I've taken to carrying a pair of sunglasses with me for him just in case.  Loud noises could be auditory sensory issues.  Being easily overwhelmed and inflexible (although reasoning with him and having that work is not very sensory like-----  he's 5 and just now can I reason with him to some extent can be part of modulation or regulation problems.  Does he like to crash (either with his body or with his toys crashing into each other) or does he completely shy away from this type of activity?  Is he sensative to touch at all?  For example, my son would cry like he was being torured if he had to wash his hands in preschool (at home a little but worse at preschool----  everything was more intense in school).  

So, I have no idea if your son has sensory but some of what you describe fit the pattern.  An occupational therapists usually diagnosis it.  Good luck.