Autism Community
very few symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

very few symptoms

My 5 year old son flaps his hands and makes noises when excited. He was a little developmentally delayed and in school is getting speech, motor skill and sensory skill training, We are told that he controls the hand flapping in class. He is age appropreiate academically. He knows how people are feeling by voice tone and expression and acts appropreiate to a persons feelings. He is a very happy kid and loves playing with his friends. There are times when he like s to play on his own but would rather be with other children. While he hand flaps he has never try to hurt himself or anyone else and is very caring towards other people. Showing affection has never been a problem for him. He looks at you when expressing himself and points to show you things, He has never been a great eater but it has gotten better with age. He also enjoys afterschool activieties(Swimming lessons, gymnastics, soccer and this winter will be learning to play basketball). Since he has had the extra help, which started at age 3 he has made outstanding progress. We have had him to see a child psycholgist twice since age 3 and was told that he may have some Autistic tendencies was not thought to be Autistic. We were that the hand flapping was his way of releasing energy when excited. The school feels the same way.

Is it true that children can have Autistic tendencies and not be somewhere on th Autistic spectrum? We were also told that if the stimming does not get in the way of him doing things at home we should let him do so, is that true? But also cautioned to watch that it does get worse as time goes on
im sorry but i cant realy advise you . im a mum in a similar situation as yourself but i do find it helps to communicate. i have an 8 yr old daughter of which ive recently been told has trates of asperges.omong other thins(many of them) she to does a lot of hand flapping ,groaning and screeching,and general fidgeting about whilst excited or distressed .our doctor wont diagnose her though as her behavour is not prominent at school and is a model pupil.a mother nos their child best and ur not alone .follow your instincts
In my sons case he still handflaps but his stimms change. He shakes his head no, he postures his hands, he blinks real hard, grimaces his face, so on and so on. I dont think just handflapping would be a real good sign at all. If there was a problem, I feel like it would definately show itself in other ways.
Can he follow through with his peers in active play or does he get a little lost? There are so many levels on the spectrun but the flapping sould like an autistic feature...which menas little. Kids can grow out of it with the right supports if it is low on the spectrum.Arm yourself with the info.Get an assessment done.Its not a sentence truly...Ive never been a happier parent now that I know whats wrong.They feel my son can grow out of it if I stay on top of it with the skills they taught me and the supports I advocated for....