Autism Community
why does my son chew on is clothing
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ADHD, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Blindness, Bullying, Causes of Autism, Autism Therapies, Clinical Depression, Deafness, Dyslexia, Isolation, Mental Retardation, Social Alienation.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

why does my son chew on is clothing

I have really strong felling is taht he was under stress at school. Because a child was abusing him at school.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
973741_tn?1342346373
Yes, this is typically a way that a child is trying to soothe themselves if anxious or nervous.  My son has sensory integration disorder and he does this as well as oral soothing is very common.  You can offer a coffee stirrer or straw to chew on.  Or they make things you can get on therapy websites that are rubber and made for chewing.  Also rubber tubing around the wrist can work or they make something that slips on the tip of a pencil.  Best to figure out what the root cause of the anxiety is.  good luck
Blank
1104172_tn?1312175007
This can either be a nervous reaction to his environment at school or some form of emotional relaxation thing that calms him. Either way I would try to find other releases for him to do that helps/eliminates the chewing of his shirts like the rubbing of the thumb and pointer finger is a way (according to therapist) so help sooth the mind when under stress. How old is he? Judging by age their can be many ways you can substitute it for doing something else.
Blank
1276426_tn?1271021338
Some children do this because of sensory issues some slap on objects this is called stemming it calms their nerves a therapist were I work offers the advice of getting him a viberating seething toy when he starts to chew on his shirt give him the toy say his name and show him chew on this not your clothes
Blank
It may sure be something to stimulate. I still chew on clothes sometimes. When I was a kid I chewed much more in addition to eating pens, pencils and other things. Im very in need of tactile stimulation, and the chewing part (which are now only pens, coca cola corks, chewing toys and so for the most), are tactile stimulation for my mouth.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Autism Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...