Autoimmune Disorders Community
18 yr old high ANA

18 yr old high ANA

My 18 yr old daughter had a case of hives about six months ago.  The Dr. recommended blood work and it came back that her ANA was high (1:320). At that time, she was having no other symptoms and so dr. recommended we wait and retest in several months. During this time, she had a prescription for Minocycline and I read that this could cause high ANA so figured this was the problem.  However, just had ANA retested at dr. and it is still high and she is recommending we follow-up with a rheumatologist. (havent been on minocycline since xmas)  Lupus was mentioned, but from what I have read, she doesn't seem to have any of the other common symptoms.  She did have some knee pain (she is a runner and works out frequently), but this seems to have subsided and she has had no other joint pain.  Any thoughts>???
Unfortunately,symptoms can often be masked or hidden by lifestyle.Your daughter may be manifesting early symptoms of an autoimmune disorder__ which is fortunate! Follow the suggestions of the Dr and get all the testing done so a diagnosis can be made.Best wishes!