80 year old women with temporal arteritis
I'm writing on behalf of my mother who has temporal arteritis, she has been through a real roller coaster ride for the last year and is starting to become very depressed, so I'm hoping that an expert will be able to help here and I'll try and keep this as short and sweet as possible. Roughly one year ago it started out as a what she thought a cold that turned into a throat infection ( my mother is the strong silent type who would rather suffer quietly then attract attention ) this lasted for at least 2 months. At some point she was taken to see the family doctor who put her on antibiotics for her cold and infection, her condition steadily became worse even with the antibiotics, she lost weight and eventually collapsed and was then brought to the hospital where her doctor got her in touch with a specialist who diagnosed her with temporal arteritis. The specialist then put her on pregnasone treatment ( I can't remember the doseage but i think it was about 60- 80 mg a day ) and they did the biopsy to determine it was in fact temporal arteritis. Mom while in the hospital for a couple of weeks seemed to be improving and was eventually sent home. At some point a few months into the pregnasone treatment after complaining again of severe body pain to her family doctor, this doctor decided to take her off the pregnasone ( I have no idea if the family doctor was in contact with the specialist or not during all this ) after mom came off the pregnasone she at some point again collapsed where she was brought to the hospital again, this was in July or August, The specialist was called back in where he decided that she shouldn't have been off of pregnasone and put her back on at 80mg a day. Again mom complained about the effects of the drug to her doctor ( I have no idea how many times she seen the specialist if at all during this last session ) after a few months the doctor or specialist started to have her come off of the drug slowly to the point where she has been off completly for the last couple of months. Now because she doesn`t seem to be getting any better ( she can barely walk or function whereas prior to getting sick from the very beginning she was in very good health both mind and body,and she is turning 80 in december by the way ) they did the esr test the other day and it was 400, now the family doctor wants to put her back on pregnasone because the test number was so high, I am assuming that the family doctor and the specialist are working hand in hand in this case, I live away from my parents and it`s hard to get all the facts straight with them. Mom is now very depressed with the thought of being put back on this ( they are going to see the doctor today )

I realise that this is all a little sketchy and it`s hard to diagnose on a question such as this, but if anyone could help with either their thoughts or advice for my mom and dad it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance    Gordon