Autoimmune Disorders Community
ANA Test Positive for 6 Years...Then all the sudden NEGATIVE!!!

HELP!  I had blood test done about 6 years ago which revealed I had a high ANA.  At that time was tested for Lupus (which came back negative), but was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.  I have had the ANA tests done several times since, and each time the ANA was HIGH....  However, two weeks ago, I had an ANA test done at a low-cost clinic, and to my amazement, they told me the ANA was NEGATIVE!!!  I thought once you had a high ANA, the antibody would FOREVER be present in the blood.  Can anyone tell me if this is possible or if the clinic may have made a mistake on the testing....  I am so confused and can't seem to get an answer to this question!  ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.
i had the same thing happen to me.. about 9 months ago i had my first set of blood test and my ana and ssb were both positive. lupus was negative so doctors thought sjogrens syndrome. then i went to a rheumatologist who re did the test and ana came back negative and ssb was too low to be positive.. and never got a reason why!
Welcome to the world of autoimmune diseases.  These test can be possitive one time and negetive the next.  Especially if you are receiving treatment like plaquinel.  You dr. shoud really be looking at your symptoms and look at the whole picture.  Yes, your test were possitive and very high at that.  That should not be disregarded.  
Thank you BOTH for responding to my question!  Megancannon...I too, was thought to have other auto-immune diseases that are usually secondary to something more serious like Lupus....  My rheumatologist at the time, told me I needed to be tested for Lupus every 6 months....unfortunately, when I divorced, I lost my GREAT insurance....  Therefore, I have not been tested for Lupus or any other autoimmune diseases since I lost my insurance 4 years ago.  I do believe I have Reynaud's (sp?) Syndrome....at least I have all the symproms, and ALSO have the symptoms to the Sjogrens Syndrome...

Karajo...Thank you for your answer!  I have been going to a low-income clinic, where I am VERY grateful for the help they gave me.  When the volunteer receptionist called me with the NEGATIVE ANA, I begged for an explanation....  Bless her heart, she told me that my ANA was probably negative now because I had been taking over-the-counter vitamins :)  ...  But, you mentioned a "plaquinel".... have not taken that, and I have been taking the same meds consistantly (with the exception of adding Meloxicam...an anti-inflammatory) since I was first diagnosed with the high ANA.

Thank you both VERY MUCH for your input!  I am anxious to learn and share more about this ANA as I learn.... What a great place to feel "welcome" and "understood"!!!
I want to ask you some questions.  Do you know your ANA level and pattern when it was possitive?  
And you mentioned Sjorgren's and Raynaud's.  What kind of symptoms are you having?
I have saved ALL my medical records which include the ANA tests and results.... The first one...actually 7 years ago, not 6 years, as I originally thought came back as:  ANA+ 1:640 (speckled & homogenous).  Tested again about a month later and it was (>1:80).  Unfortunately, right now, these are the only test results I can "get my hands on"!  And then of course, this last test result which came back negative.  It was the original positive ANA which concerned my doctor, and from there he sent me to the Arthritis Centers of Texas to have further testing done.  He told me over the phone, "I am pretty sure you have Lupus".  I have also had other symtoms (symptoms), which led my doctor to believe I might have MS....  After MRIs (with and w/o contrasts) they ruled out that possibility.  I am now having symptoms of red and white splotchy patterns on my hands and feet when they get cold....as well as numbness during these periods... (symptoms of Raynaud's ?)....  I am also having dryness of my mucus membranes (in particular, my eyes).  It is almost impossible for me to be in a room where there is a ceiling fan or any kind of fan blowing, as my eyes get so dry I cannot stand it.....(Sjorgren's???)

Are my ANA levels comparable to yours???  And what does "plaquinel" treat (sounds like a cholesterol medication?!!!)?
I have lupus and my first ANA test was 1:1280 speckled and now it is 1:640 but on plaquinel so i do believe the levels go down,
I was diagnosed with lupus in 2002. I have been symptom free (so far). My doctor informed me that (not always), but if I haven"t exhibited any illnesses yet, it is a good chance that I won't. Is that a factual statement.
Hi and welcome to the forum.  
Lupus is diagnosed from a list of symptoms along w/ certain lab results.  There are 11 criteria, one must have at least 4.  So I don't understand how you can be dx w/o any symptoms.