ANA Titer Positive 1:1280
My ANA Titer came back positive 1:1280, my Sjogrens Antibody SS-B also positive, body aches, stiffness, leg edema, headaches, dizziness, dry mouth, accelerated heart beat, ocassional high blood pressure.  Have hypothyrodism and fibromyalgia.  Could the ANA indicate Lupus for sure?
Hi!

No, the ANA does not indicate SLE( Lupus) for sure. You need further testing done by a rheumatologist.

ANAs present different "patterns" depending on the staining of the cell nucleus in the laboratory: homogeneous or diffuse; speckled; nucleolar; and peripheral or rim. While these patterns are not specific for any one illness, certain illnesses can more frequently be associated with one pattern or another. The patterns then can sometimes give the doctor further clues as to types of illnesses to look for in evaluating a patient. For example, the nucleolar pattern is more commonly seen in the disease scleroderma. The speckled pattern is seen in many conditions and in people who do not have any autoimmune disease.

Hope this helps and feel better!

I have a positive ANA.  My consultant said this was consistant with a range of auto immune problems including PBC (primary Biliary Cirrosis) amongst other things.  I have found personally that Lupus is an addition quite often to a number of auto immunes that people have for example I was diagnosed with mild Lupus first, then it became apparent that I have mixed connective tissue disorders, almost like a handful out of each bag!!  This was the findings when they found the ANA.  Things did not improve and they found I have PBC and Auto Immune Hepatitis and a AMA (Anti Mitocondrial Antibody)
It can take time for your consultant to get the correct diagnosis for you as many of these present with similar symptoms and it is important for you for him to detect the right cause.