ANA results
My doctor ordered an ANA test because of chronic low white blood count, fatigue, and pain. My results were positive 1:160 homogeneous. They then did a connective tissue cascade which said my ANTINUCLEAR AB was 1 U and my CCP AB was <15.6. (20 is high normal) The test said they would not test for dsDNA or ENA antigens unless my ANTINUCLEAR AB results were at least 3 U...so my doctor says that actually my test results are negative for autoimmune. I thought I read somewhere that 1U is equivalent to a 1:160 result, but that would mean they wouldn't test for dsDNA or ENA unless my results were 1:480, which doesn't seem to make sense to me. It seems like plenty of people are diagnosed with 1:160/1:320 ANAs...  Can anyone help me interpret this?
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
351246 tn?1379685732
Hi!
Generally a reading less than 1:80 (1 part plasma with 8 parts diluting solution (fluid)) is read as a negative ANA.
1:80 is considered a "low positive" and is not confirmatory of any disease. More tests are usually required to confirm the diagnosis. Most of people with 1:80 ANA do not have SLE or any other autoimmune disorder. However all results have to be clinically co-related. So if there are symptoms of an autoimmune disorder at 1:80, then this can be taken as confirmatory for disease.
1:320 is a definite positive and mean the disease is active.
1:640 is considered very high and tissue damage is imminent.
What is important is the pattern of ANA staining: homogenous, speckled, or nucleolar. Depending on the pattern of ANA staining, other antibody tests will have to be done. The pattern of staining itself is quite diagnostic (for eg in SLE a homogenous pattern is seen, nucleolar pattern in scleroderma and speckled pattern in ITP and mixed connective tissue disorder and in lupus)
So, since you have a homogenous pattern, it is quite specific for Lupus or SLE. You need further tests like Anti-dsDNA,Anti-ssDNA,and Anti-Smith. The connective tissue cascade is interpreted as < or =1.0 U (negative). So that way the doctors are right. However, if you have symptoms of lupus, then you need further testing. Take care!
Comment
Cancel
351246 tn?1379685732
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Autoimmune Disorders Community Resources