Autoimmune Disorders Community
Accuracy of lip biopsy for Sjogren's?

Accuracy of lip biopsy for Sjogren's?

I recently had a lip biopsy to rule out Sjogren's and it came back negative.  I'm wondering what the accuracy of the biopsy is and if the fact that there is a lump further back in a salivary gland makes a difference (not sure why they didn't biopsy that area as well).  The lump in the salivary gland tends to become larger and more tender (to the point that my neck becomes stiff and have trouble turning my head) when the rest of the symptoms flare up.  The doctor states that I have all of the symptoms of Sjogren's, but since the lip biopsy was negative they will not pursue the diagnosis any further which leaves me with debilitating symptoms and no answers.    
My ENT suspects Sjogren's w/ me.  I asked him if a lip biopsy was a foolproof way to dx it.  He said if the sed rate is not elevated, there is only a small % chance of the biopsy showing a definite dx.  

If you didn't go to an ENT, I would.  

As far as the swollen gland, I think it should be looked into by an Ear Nose and Throat dr.  There are medical conditions that can cause swollen gland and dry mouth other than Sjogren's.  It needs to be tended to.