Autoimmune Disorders Community
Advice about MS Please!!??

Advice about MS Please!!??

I'm frustrated! I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia many years ago, but think it's something else. Eyesight problems, hearing problems, kidney problems, back pain, joint pain, abdominal pain and swelling, and just about every symptom of MS. Negative ANA. Just need someone to talk to! Any advice/support is greatly appreciated!!
I just read your post and I'm sending the link to the blog for the vitamindcouncil newsletter I just got today.

http://blog.vitamindcouncil.org/2013/02/16/the-multiple-sclerosis-d-lemma/

My daughter was misdiagnosed with Fibromalgia. She had a D3 level that was deficient. The Doc recommended supplements of 6,000 IU for 3 months then a blood test to check on her levels. Long story, short, our whole family takes 10,000 IU daily with 2 blood checks a year. We all are in the sweet spot between 50 -70 which helps us deal with many different kinds of medical problems. D3 is cheap and easy to get at Costco, Walmart etc.
This may not solve the problems you are having, but it won't hurt either.
Lots of info on MS at the vitamindcouncil web-site.

Good luck,
elbamom
Hello!  I have been tenatively diagnosed with fibromyalgia...that is, my GP said she thought I had it based on my symptoms, but sent me to a rheumatologist for further testing.  She had also tested my vitamin D levels, and it was dreadfully low (8!!).  I've been on 50K IU of Vitamin D weekly since then.  The rheumatologist ran a huge battery of tests on me -- checking for MS among other things.  He has not done an MRI yet, but did do a spinal tap looking for something else, and has ordered a conductivity test (I don't think that's what it's called, but that's what is in my brain).  The rheumy said today that fibromyalgia is a spectrum of symptoms and it's correct to say one has fibro if those symptoms are present (and, I loved this..."the pain is real"), but many people with fibro also have other issues, or the symptoms may have identifiable causes and the fibro would then be a secondary diagnosis.  So, we shall see when I have my follow-up visit.  Definitely check with a neurologist if you don't have another dr who will look into it for you.

Lisa
Hi there, we all can concur with what you are going through.  Sometimes it just helps to have someone to talk to.  

I would like for you to read this post - especially red_star's post:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Autoimmune-Disorders-/Preeclampsia-and-MS/show/1900621

Also Niko has some good info on magnesium crystals.  (magnesium chloride flakes) that you spray on your body and let it soak in.  I havn't tried it yet, but he says you don't have the gastro upset that usually goes along with the pill form.  

Praying for you sweetheart.
Hi Catherine.

It shouldn't have to be this way! I'm sorry about all your suffering.
The fibro dx could be just a part of the whole picture.
Don't forget, FMS is NOT a specific disease, but rather a syndrome,
that includes a number of various symptoms and with no known etiology
and no known cure.
Actually your present symptoms, may help in a way uncover, an underlying condition/imbalance that would potentially lead to a proper dx and treatment. And not two cases are the same.

There are a few things that come to mind that need to be ruled out:
1. Gut dysbiosis/leaky gut syndrome.
A simple urine test will confirm or rule it out. Lactulose and Mannitol test.
2. Kidney dysfunction needs to be investigated thoroughly, as toxins and bacteria in the blood, normally filtered through the kidneys, could get to any part of the body, even the brain, causing all kind of issues.
3. Nutritional deficiencies including tissue (not serum)mineral deficiencies - some already mentioned D3, Mg- have to be ruled out.
4. Swelling is linked to infections, water retention, lymph-edema.
Each has to be further investigated.

I have to go now, but please give me your thoughts on the above, for the time being.
Best wishes.
Niko