Auto immune disease or something else?
My son for the past 10 months has had these breakouts that several doctors are calling impetigo.  Looks like a staph infection.  He has been on 6 different antibiotics and some creams.  We still have and now new symptom.  red lines form and you can watch and then a bump looking like a pimple will appear and hurt.  Then a few days ago he has started coughing up some kind of white stuff that resembles the stuff he gets out of the bumps and he is making gurgling sounds while breathing in his sleep.  We were told possibly Bechets disease.  I cant get in to a specialist til November, Im afraid of what can happen between then and now.  Any answers?
I am so sorry for what you are having to deal with. Not much is worse than watching your child suffer. Unfortunately, there aren't enough rheumies in most areas and 3-6 months seems to be the norm for getting in for a first appointment. Have you a teaching hospital near you? We are near the University of Texas Medical Branch and I have been going there for several years. The good thing about a teaching hospital like UTMB is that you can have all your doctors at one place and they can coordinate your care.

I have a couple of AI issues, myself, and it can be confusing and overwhelming at best. If you absolutely cannot get him in any sooner, I would think coughing up white stuff would warrant an ER visit. If you take him to the ER, let them know about the suspected Bechets and they may have rheumy on staff that can see him, or at least the ER doc can help with the breathing issues until you can see a rheumy.
We just got a diagnosis of Behcets Disease....On my 10 yr old son. along with the diagnosis of Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Rheumatoid arthritis, his most recent lupus screen tested positive as well. I am curious as to what symptoms your son exhibits. My sons symptoms are Stomach pain, joint pain, rash, and oral mouth sores.Fever's ranging from 101- 104.5 which can last weeks. We currently see a Gastroenterologist out of New Hampshire Hospital for children, An assistant professor  out of Dartmouth  Hitchcock Rheumatology , We also travel to floating childrens hospital out of Tufts medical center in Boston, Ma.  once a month. I know how frustrated you must be....We have walked this path for about 3 years now and just got those three diagnosis yesterday. Doc's plan for treatment is Methotrexate, which is a scary drug as in higher doses its used to treat cancer. The side effects are scary as well. Most Rhuemys have a 3-6 month waiting period...but i would call them back and ask to be put on a cancellation list ( its what i did and instead of waiting the 8 weeks for the appoint there was a cancellation and was able to get him in in 3 weeks. I am curious....have they tried your son on Prednisone?  Prednisone seems to put his symptoms into remission, but only while on the steroid. Once the steroid is stopped, symptoms return. I hope you are able to get him in soon, i know how frustrating and overwhelming this can all be, Please keep us posted and let us know how your child is doing.
The red lines are a symptom of bartonella.  Have him checked for that so that you can get the proper antibiotic.