Autoimmune Arthritis & Sweating
Hello - I have psoriatic arthritis with spondylitis and I just got off presnidone (1 week ago), but still am on 1ml of methotrexate once a week, Enbrel, levocorin, and restasis.  I am working on getting back on my feet and have been exercising in a pool 2X a week.  After my pool workout  I jumped into my club's sauna but after being in there 20-30 mins I never broke a sweat. The people all around me were pouring sweat, but all I did was get flushed and hot. It occurred to me that maybe a side effect of the drugs was a reduced capacity to sweat. Would that explain it or should I just stay in longer? I got out because I was worried I would overheat if I wasn't able to sweat.  How long should it take a normal person to break a sweat in a sauna?
Hi!
None of the drugs you are taking would normally cause decreased sweating. If others around you are sweating in the sauna, then you should also by that time.
Well, a sympathetic-parasympatheic innervations defect can cause decreased sweating as in your case. Certain peripheral neuropathies like in diabetes, hypothyroidism, and Gullian Barre can also be responsible. Certain skin conditions causing harm or blockage to sweat glands too can cause this problem. History of burns and Sjogren’s syndrome too should be looked into.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral a neurologist and a skin specialist. Take care!