Autoimmune Disorders Community
Autoimmune Hep? Maybe

Autoimmune Hep? Maybe

I'm 31. My previous surgeries were to repair my sub-aortic stenosis; left nephrectomy, up-topic-ureterosyl (bladder reconstruct'n); fundoplication; I also had a repair on an esophagus perf. For the last 2 years I began to have high ALT and AST levels and high thyroid levels. Dr.s did a liver biopsy and found hepatitis. BUT my last set of labs came back clean. No high liver levels and the thyroid meds balanced it. Yet, I still have extreme pain in my right side, I am nauseous, and dizzy. They have no idea what it is, but autoimmune hep used to be the best guess now no one knows. Any ideas?
Hi and welcome.

I don't want to pry into your private life, but could it be that you are overweight?  I have a friend who is overweight and also had high liver enzymes.  She was also on Seraquill which we think was causing her liver enzymes to be elevated.  There is someting called fatty liver that can cause elevated liver enzymes.  So check your meds for liver toxicity.
Hello Karajo,

Thank you so much the message and your question is not prying. I am not overweight; in fact, I am under weight at 5'4" weighing 112 lbs. This is what makes the hypothyroidism and the (previous) hepatitis so odd. I should also add that I was NOT taking any medications when the results were high.

Nevertheless, because we did not know what was causing the problems, my Dr.s recommended I change my diet to be vegetarian, reduced gluten, and to not have any alcohol. Two months in to this changed diet my ALT and AST spiked. The ALT was 369 and AST 181. The Dr.s decided to continue to watch me and then after another month the labs returned to normal. By this I mean perfect.

The biopsy ruled out Fatty Liver and the Dr.s suggested it might be toxin related or autoimmune hepatitis. But after the AST and ALT returned to normal the Dr.s could not give me any good answers. Actually all they're saying is that it is "curious!" This is even more "curious" because of my severe pain, even though all of my labs are back to normal.

I'll also add that I had a full colon-scope (done by my own specialist) which came back normal, though I am waiting on the results from its biopsy (which my doctor assumes will be fine).

Once again thank you for the comment and question. If you have any other ideas, or know of tests I could ask for it would be appreciated.

This is only my personal opinion.  I think it could be autoimmune hep.  Autoimmune diseases do that.  Your lab is all wacked out and then it's normal.  Crazy stuff!