Autoimmune Disorders Community
Autoimmune panel blood kit

Autoimmune panel blood kit

I have graves but I am having a lot of symptoms that are not related to graves. My primary doctor wants me to have an autoimmune blood panel that he said checks for other autoimmune diseases. It cost about $350.00 and I will have to mail it myself. Can anyone tell me if they have had this test or know anything about it?
Bella, if you have the test done, I would recommend that you spend time in the sun prior to the test.  About 15-20 min. of sun exposure.  Have the blood drawn about 30 min after the sun exposure.  What this will do is, if you have lupus, it will cause the ANA to be elevated.  If you don't have lupus, it won't affect the test.  

There are other things that can cause joint pain.  Scroll down and look toward the right hand side of the page until you get to "symptom checker".  Type in joint pain.  This will help guide you toward what might be going on.  

I have lupus.  I think sometimes when we have a disease, then we think other people also have what we have.  But I think these forum are to help us inform each other.  So I will just share the criteria of lupus along w/ some common symptoms.

There are 11 criteria for a lupus dx.  You must have at least 4 of the 11 to recieve a dx.

They are:
1. malar rash over cheeks (butterfly rash)
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
3. photosensitivity - reaction to sunlight, resulting in skin rash
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis
6. serositis - inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung or heart
7. reanl disorder - excessive protein in urine and/or cellular casts
8. neurologic disorder - seizures, or psychosis
9. anemia or low white blood count or lymphopenia or low platelet count
10. positive ANA
11. positive anti-DNA or anti-Sm, or antiphospholipid antibody or false pos. syphilis test

Other symptoms are:
fever
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out
fatigue
muscle pain and weakness
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
abdominal pain
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
raynauds (where fingers turn white when cold)
intollerance to cold
sore throat
...to name a few

Keep in mind that fibromyalgia, CFS, MS and lymes disease also have similar symptoms.  

If you don't have at least 4 of the 11 criteria, your dr. can't dx lupus.  

Hope this helps. Kara

They are:
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis
10. positive ANA

Other symptoms are:
fever
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out
fatigue
muscle pain and weakness
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
abdominal pain
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
intollerance to cold
sore throat
...to name a few

Hope this helps. Kara
Thanks for the comment Kara. I had never heard of this test so I was curious as to how effective it would be. I do seem to have several of the lupus symptoms you listed but my Primary Doctor already did some kind of test for inflamation (inflammation) but said it was negative. Now he wants to do the other one.
Its funny that you mentioned antiphospholipid antibody. Some of the women in my family have antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. I was tested about 10 years ago and that was negative. My grandmother had it as well as her daughter and her daughter's  two daughters and my sister also has it.
Thanks again for the info.
That is very interesting.  Because autoimmune disorders usually run in families.  

Just so you know,k my Sed rate has always been in normal range.  A friend who has severe rheumatoid arthritis, in the early stages of the disease, all of her lab work was negative.  For some reason autoimmune disorders are really hard to dx b/c everything comes and goes.  All the symptoms as well as the lab.