Autoimmune Disorders Community
Autoimmune?

Autoimmune?

I am looking for some advice as I wait to see a dermatologist and internist.  I am a 34 year old female, and I take advil almost daily to manage aching in my shoulders and legs, and have been doing this for many years now.  Twice over the last 7 years, for a period of months, I have had joint stiffness (mostly in the morning or after sitting for a period of time), fatigue and tingling extremities.  Currently I do not have the fatigue, stiffness or tingling, though I now have 'splotches' on the back of my right hand, on the side of my left wrist, and on both ankles and the tops of my feet.  I have pictures of these on my profile.  I have had these for almost a year, and have treated them with prescription fungal and cortizone creams, but neither worked.  It now is starting to appear on my arms, legs and stomach, only much smaller.  They do not itch, but the larger ones are more tender than usual when stepped on, banged against something, etc.. My doctor believes it is all related to an auto-immune condition.  I have been tested for M.S. (negative), and blood tests came back negative for the  RA factor and ANA antibodies. I have an elevated SED rate, and red blood count is on the low end. I am waiting (6+ months now) to see a dermatologist, and just recently was also referred to an internist.  
I am also prone to several respiratory infections per year.  I have anxiety, but have learned how to manage this over the years.  I have recently lost 50+ lbs, though am still a bit overweight.  There is a history of diabetes in my family.
I have been searching and searching and searching on the internet, and my doctor has (very gently) stated that this is a 'mystery', so I am open to any viable possibilities here...even if it gives me something to research as I wait.
Doctors are idiots, sometimes.  There has to be an answer.  I get the same attitude from the doctors.  Do you have spinal degeneration?   Swelling?  I get rashes and burning, searing pain in my back and legs too.

My right knee is red and hot and swollen and they say it's not due to the bone....its' like we have to be our own doctors.  I'm in pain 24/7 and it's ruined my life.

Not trying to get you down, just know you are not alone in the doctor frustration.
I am here all the time, also there is a group in the Chronic Pain Couch and Pain Management forums started for dealing with pain and anxiety.  I am trying that, it's run by a member omhome.  Check it out, if nothing else, it s worth a try.

I am always here (I hardly ever sleep) if you need to vent or talk.
Hi there,
I am very sorry to hear you are having some significant issues - it certainly can be frustrating.  I am lucky enough to have a very good family doctor who is working with me through this diagnosis process, however I live in a small town and we have limited access to specialists, hence the wait.  I feel healthy most of the time (unless I am dealing with an infection or those times when the stiffness and tingling sets in), and in particular I feel the weight loss and reduction in sugar intake has helped my symptoms.  I manage my pain with advil (and stomach meds to protect the lining of my stomach).  I think, if anything, that even though it has now been years since my symptoms started, I am still in the very early stages of whatever it is I have.  My whirling mind requires that I have as much information as possible (when I educate myself about things that are worrying me, the anxiety eases), so here I am, hopeful that someone may see my post and say 'hey, have you looked into this?  or that?' and it will give me another avenue to research as I wait.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, and to inbox me.  I hope you have a diagnosis soon, and are able to start down a treatment path that will give you a manageable, pain-free lifestyle.