A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Autoimune disorders

Hi, I am female, age 63, vegetarian since 1976. 5'1" 8 stone, low cholesterol generally good health with ongoing low HB counts i.e. 110 -111. I was treated for increasing anaemia (iron tablets which were of no use) for 4 years (1966 - 1970) before diagnosis of Hashimoto's disease, while still a meat eater.
Hashimoto's thyroid disease diagnosed at 19. Vast improvement of health naturally resulted, including improvement of HB levels to near normal or normal. Have taken thyroxine ever since. Over the past year I have experienced a range of symptoms including balance problems, memory lapses, tiredness, etc. Doctor ordered full blood test. Low B12, Low ferritin, Low foliate, Low white blood cell count and anaemic, HB 103, and intrinsic factor antibodies. Doctor ordered 6 B12 injections over 2 weeks to be followed by a B12 injection every 3 months. Blood test after first 6 B12 injections: HB 110. Felt much better, very close to full health and felt that energy levels were much better; also many previous symptoms had disappeared. Doctor now ordered B12 injections monthly. First of these was 3 days late, but felt fine. The second was 7 days late, I had began to notice balance problems again. Another blood test: Still anaemic now HB 107, but B12 extremely high, over 2000ng/L. Other levels ok. Doctor now says that I probably don't need a B12 injection for 2 years! Through all of this, I have made sure that I don't drink tea or coffee within an hour either side of a meal. Drink orange juice with food, and maximise iron intake by eating whole grains, lentils, dark green vegetables etc. i.e. iron rich vegetarian foods. I can't tolerate iron supplements. I notice gradual improvement in quality of hair, nails, skin etc. but I am still exhausted at the end of the day, and if I have had to drive far to work, and work has been stressful, I will still feel exhausted for the whole of the following day. Why, with all of this extra effort to obtain as much iron as possible, and with this high level of B12, am I still so tired and not feeling as well as I felt following the first 6 B12 injections? I appreciate any advice or insight into what might be happening. Best Regards, Ngen
1530171_tn?1418143903
Hi Ngen. I'm sorry  about your health issues.

1. Your high B12 finding could be a false positive if:
a. Your kidney function at the time of testing was impaired, preventing
methylmalonic acid  (MMA) to be filtered from the blood, thus an MMA test
to determine cobalamin levels, would show HIGH  levels of MMA,
which would  indicate incorrectly high cobalamin.
MMA levels normally correlate with cobalamin levels.
b. You have a genetic defect causing a built-up of MMA

The reason it could be a false positive is because the B vitamins are  water-soluble and any excess above the storage capacity, gets excreted
in the urine!

A Homocysteine CSF test would help rule this in or out.

2 The other possibility is that you have low methylation, where cobalamin
B12 cannot be properly utilized in this form, as your body might actually be deficient in methylocobalamin which is the neurological type of B12.

Finally I would recommend you take another look at your cholesterol
levels.
If they have fallen below 160mg/dl you may also have an issue
with that as well.
Low cholesterol is a much greater concern than high cholesterol, something totally ignored by conventional medicine.

Neurological and hormonal function simply cannot be normal when cholesterol levels are very low, as these functions are greatly cholesterol dependent.

I hope this helps, however, please note that my comments do not constitute medical advice.

Best wishes,
Niko

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Autoimmune Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703