Autoimmune Disorders Community
Blood Pressure and AS

Blood Pressure and AS

My son started having "spells" Jan. 2012 where he would start throwing up, very pale and blotchy, dark circle under his eyes. We would take him to the doctor and they would tell us to take him home and in a full days he would get better. He would but then a few months later it would happen again, he would literally look like he was dying. Finally he was hospitalize at vanderbilt childrens hospital for it cause his BP was extremely to high(181/96). He was finally diagnosed with Hypertension but without a reason.His doctor told me that a reason for high blood pressure could be that he was in pain from something that we couldn't see. They did ever test on him and everything came back normal, he is currently take Amlodipine twice a day, and his bp runs around 120/75 everyday. So it got me thinking...I have the gene HLA-B27 which can be a sign of Ankylosing Spondylitis and was told that more then likely my son would suffer from this as well.

So my question is: Is there a link between Ankylosing Spondylitis and High Blood Pressure? Should I have my son tested for AS? Could AS be the "Pain" that my son is having that we can't see?
Hi!
Well yes, people who have ankylosing spondylitis do have heart and vascular problems including deep vein thrombosis and high blood pressure. There can be a chance of renal artery steonsis as well and this can raise BP. A dopplar ultrasound should be scheduled to diagnose this. However, even if your son inhertits the HLA-B27 gene from you, it may or may not result in AS.
To find whether your son has high blood pressure without a cause or essential hypertension you need to eliminate the various causes of hypertension. Recent head injury, hyperthyroidism, renal artery stenosis (by dopplar studies or MRI), abnormal kidney function (by kidney function tests), hyper function of adrenals, Cushing’s syndrome, abnormal liver function etc need to be ruled out. To diagnose the cause tests like kidney function, liver function, lipid profile, thyroid, adrenal gland function, EKG, ECHO, tread mill etc are done.
Please discuss with his treating doctor to know what tests have been done and what needs to be done. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.