Autoimmune Disorders Community
Can Remicade Cause Depression and Mood Swings

My husband takes Remicade for Crohn's Disease. He has severe mood swings after taking Remicade and then high and lows that resemble Depression. Are there any reported cases of this happening with anyone else?
My husband also takes Remicade for Crohn's Disease and also has severe mood swings with highs and lows that resemble depression.  I was searching on the internet to see if this could be caused by Remicade.  He is usually an upbeat, easy going person.  I feel there has to be some relationship to taking the Remicade.
I was just researching the same thing. My 16 year old son was diagnosed with Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis a year ago (September 2010). Over the past 6 months, I've notice a big change in his behavior. He's depressed, aggressive, lethargic, and frustrated. He lacks motivation and feels hopeless. He goes from being pleasant to screaming at the top of his lungs and telling me that he doesn't care about life. It's not that he's suicidal. He just said that he doesn't feel like trying. He just wants life to happen however it's suppose to happen without working to change the outcome for the better. He has no dreams or goals anymore. He feels like his childhood has been taken from him and he said that although he's more happy than sad, there's still more unhappiness in his life than he'd like. It breaks my heart. He's an honor roll student and isn't hanging out with "the wrong crowd". I really believe his medicine is changing him. I don't recognize him anymore. He use to be so happy go lucky.
My wife has been taking Remicade for Crohn's Disease for 5 months now and, like all of you, I have noticed a drastic change in her behaviour over the past 3 months.  She's become extremely impulsive, aggressive, distant and detached.  I've researched the side effects of using Remicade and hadn't come across a correlation until I came across this forum.  Our marriage seems to be unravelling before my eyes and her strange behaviour is affecting our 2 yr old son.  One odd specific trait of her behaviour is that she seems to want to retrieve and hold on to past issues in her (and our) life that have long since been resolved (no, this behaviour is not exclusive to our relationship; work issues, past friendships, her immediate family all are fair game).  She just wants to run away from everything, even things that are non-issues in actuality.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I have had 3 infusions of Remicade for RA and i have noticed extreme depression since i started it. I am usually a happy person so this was new to me. I have been in the ER 3 times and a metal institute. It is being investigated by my doctor weather or not it's the Remicade. I am no longer taking remicade
Was the ER for mood Swings? and were you depressed while on remicade? How has your mood been since you have stopped remicade? Hope 2012 is better for everyone!!
I became severely depressed about 3 months after starting Remicade. And terrible fatigue too. I have had some mild depression before, but nothing like this. I manage to get to work most of the time, but if I am off I will usually stay in bed all day. I don't bathe very often, can't get motivated to clean, and have stopped doing the fun things I used to do - social life, dance and language classes, photography, working out, etc.  Now I would rather stay in bed and watch Law and Order reruns all day. I am on bupropion with some improvement. Was on citalopram, didn't help much, too many side effects. Tried Effexor twice - got so dizzy that I couldn't get out of bed at all. I think I have mood swings and over react to almost everything. I have UC and am on a pretty high dose, thinking of seeing if my GI will decrease the dose and see if this helps.
My 13 year old daugher was diagnosed with Juvenille Rheumatoid Arthritis and Uveitis (inflammation of the Iris) at age 2 and 4, repectively.  She is on methotrextate and has been on Remicade for 4 years now to help control both.  I never had a problem until last year.  My daughter has also gone through a big change.  She's full of anxiety, especially at bedtime.  She also has mood swings.  She is also having trouble falling asleep at night.  She is very restless and it can take her up to 2 hours to finally fall asleep.  She is extremely exhausted the next day and it is always an effort to get her up in the morning.  She too lacks motivation and seems to have lost her focus in school and the desire to  do well in school.  She was an honor student but due to falling grades was taken out.  She never had sleep issues, as she's always been my best sleeper and slept without a nightlight and the door closed.  She never had a problem before with schoolwork and her personality was always pleasant.  Now she flies off the handle very easily.  It is very stressful being around her because you don't know what mood she will be in.  I am convinced the changes in her are from Remicade but I haven't found anything online that confirms these side effects.  Is your son still on Remicade and is he doing better?
I just had my first remicaide treatment and i seem to be screaming alot at the people i care most about. I feel over whelmed for no reason and little things seem to set me off the only thing that hepls is my anxiety med. i hope this does not last long please let me know how thing are going for your family.
I can totally relate to what your going through. My husband started remicade April of this year for his crohns. Before the remicade he was a totally different person. He has terrible mood swings and depression. He is obsessed with relationships from his past and doesnt seem to care about how i feel. He is making decisions that are not totally thought through. Its taking a big toll on our marriage and we have only been married for two years. Im not sure what to do anymore.
I was doing well mentally and emotionally for more than 5 years after being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (although at the time I was coping with all the pain, cramping, etc). In spite of the frequent BMs and daily pain, I was able to complete a challenging masters degree and exercised vigorously for an hour almost every day.

After starting Remicade, I lost all my motivation. Most days I could barely make it to work, and I even went on short term disability for awhile. I thought it was depression and saw a couple of pyschiatrists. The antidepressants didn't help much. I had trouble concentrating. After work I went home and straight home to bed. I quit having a social life. I didn't care that I didn't have a social life. Some weekends I didn't even leave my bedroom. I quit taking care of my yard and my home and my kids (17 and 23) had to take care of me. I have had some mild depression that lasted a week or 2 in the past, but nothing like this! I don't feel sad or cry or feel suicidal or anything like that.

It has now been 13 weeks since my last infusion and I feel quite a bit better. I started taking low dose naltrexone prior to stopping Remicade. I work for a pharmaceutical and I urge anyone who has these type of symptoms to report it to the company that makes Remicade or to the FDA. Drug companies have to report side effects to the FDA and track all the problems that are reported to them.

I have regular blood work to check for drug induced lupus, which Remicade can cause, and so far that is negative.
My partner has just initiated Remicade therapy and I have noticed after the first two doses that he is aggressive, distant, and 2-3 times more than the prednisone "blues" that I've gotten accustomed too. He is usually strong willed and positive but now just the oppisite. He is taking it for his U.C. and I am finding it hard to tolerate him sometimes, I love him sooo much. He stood by me during chemo and I will with him. I understand what you guys are going through. Please advise if you can...
I have been on remicade for almost a year.  After every single injection, usually 6-10 hours after, I will have a sort of break-down.  I have extreme rage, I cry uncontrollably and yes, I take it out on my loved ones.  I always thought that this was a result of being on birth control AND remicade, but now I am not sure.  I am not saying that I go through a long period of depression, but I definitely have "down days" where I don't talk to anyone and I'll just sit in my room in the dark.  My boyfriend is extremely worried about me bringing up past wrongs of his.  I get somewhat paranoid and very angry at every single thing he has done to upset me in the past.  I accuse him of being disloyal and trying to humiliate me on purpose.  I also have severe separation anxiety when he goes away for long periods of time.  In addition to this, I have difficulty staying asleep every night.  I wake up once every hour and feel exhausted during the week.
Hi, Breneh
Omg..... Your situation sounds identical to mine.