Chronic itchy skin all year round
I have suffered from severe pruritis since 1994, with the exception of a 3 year break between 1998 and 2001.  Mostly it is on my arms, shoulders and right thigh, and occasionally my scalp is irritable also.

There is no rash, only redness from the scratching.  The skin is hot where it itches.  My arms are fairly scarred from years of scratching.  I even scratch in my sleep, I have woken with blood on the sheets!

I have eliminated photosensitivity as my legs and shoulders are always covered, besides I have this itch all year round.

I have seen a dermatologist who suggested various medications.

After trying all the various creams, (including Capsaicin) I now use a very strong steroid cream (Dermovate) which just about controls the itching, but I can only use it for 5 days a month as it thins the skin.

I take various medications as I have Behcet's Disease – one being Amitryptiline.  

It would be difficult to stop taking the Amitryptiline as I am prescribed it for severe headaches that last days and even weeks at times.  Not ordinary headaches but ‘cotton-wool’ type with slurring of speech, difficulty in comprehending and thinking properly etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can pinpoint what the cause could be.
I too suffer from chronic itching. A pain doctor told me that the many causes range from allergenic, to nerve cells, to auto-immune or vitamin dficiencies, to chemical imbalances, ad infinitum. The only answer I can provide is the attitude I'm also taking for my own impairment. That is to try to keep hoping, seeking, and believing that a cure or soution will be discovered. Enroll in studies,speak with learned professionals, try natural remedies, scour the hospital sites online. I wish you luck, and eventually relief, friend.           zyber-***@****
My husband has chronic itching aswell. I think i could also be linked with allergies because my husband has allergies and he always is itchy as soon as he wakes up he is itchy as soon as he gets out of the shower he is itchy it never stops!  I always get him to wash himself with qv wash its ph balanced and qoats milk soap it is soothing and helps him a little bit. I have herd oats are good too for itchy skin.