Autoimmune Disorders Community
Colon or muscular pain?

Colon or muscular pain?

37, male. Healthy high fiber, dairy free, wholefood diet. (for last 3 months). 178cm tall, 70 kg. I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome 15 years ago... still suffer tiredness and aches

Last 6 weeks have dull to sharp pain, sometimes pulsating, around sigmoid colon area (left, below naval, very specifically located). Muscle pain also around left hip area.  Rumbling stomach.  Often thin stools, no blood, some occasional diarrhea. Blood work normal. Ultrasound showed nothing unusual.

I'm having a CT scan this week.  What are the likely causes of this? I have no history of colon cancer in my family.

Is there any chance that it could be muscular, rather than internal? The pain is greater in that location when i tense to urinate or pass a stool.

Can muscle strains in that area cause more cramping, and gas?
Hi!
Pain and discomfort on the lower left side of abdomen just below and to the left of navel can be due to several causes such as Crohn’s disease, colitis, diverticulitis, infection in kidney, kidney stones, adhesions, polycystic ovary in females, IBS, constipation, and an abscess in rectus abdominis muscle or psoas muscle. Since you do not have a lump or a tender hot spot, in all probability it is not a muscle. It could also be a periumbilical hernia that has got trapped resulting in small bowel obstruction or mesenteric ischemia. There is a possibility that there is a stone in the urinary system. This also causes pain that can be felt in groin and hip area.
When there is gas, the muscles can become tense. On the other hand if muscles of the abdomen are injured, gas may build up if you find it difficult to pass stool.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP to run tests and examination to clinch a diagnosis. Take care!
Thanks for your reply.

I have had more tests now (Ulra-sound, CT scan) ruling out problems with organs or colon .....plus many hernia exams.

Here is a picture I made of where my pain is-
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/10378065/640/10378065.gif

The pain is always there in some form and sometimes the pain stretches to lower back and to upper as well

I need to point out that I am left handed, and carried a heavy bag on my left shoulder everyday in between teaching (for over 10 years), although now i am trying not to do that, and improving my posture in general

Here is an x-ray of my spine, which shows a slight leaning to the left, they said
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/10378332/640/10378332.png

I am having trouble getting any type of diagnosis, and have been thrown from doctor to doctor.

Currently i believe my posture may have shortened or tightened the left psoas, pulling my spine to the left and putting pressure on the inguinal ligament? and/or Iliopsoas tendonitis/burcitis.

A psoas stretch causes pain around hip and down groin.

A physio told me there wasn't much he can do (helpful), and an orthopedic doctor, without even looking at the x-ray told me to go to hospital because it sounds like a hernia.

What do you think the possible diagnosis could be? And should I be resting or stretching or?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated