Autoimmune Disorders Community
Could ANA 1:640 mean nothing?

Could ANA 1:640 mean nothing?

I know that a percentage of the healthy population can have a positive ANA and it means nothing, but mine just came back at 1:640 which my doctor said was "very positive". I am hoping it means nothing. I have to wait a few weeks to see the rheumatologist. I know I have autoimmune hypothyroidism. Could it be this? Over the past year, I have had a lot of swallowing/ esophageal issues, undiagnosed chest pains (poss esophageal spasms) along with some breathing problems and other various aches, pains and vertigo. A year ago my ANA was barely positive at 1:40. 7 months ago it was negative along with a whole bunch if lupus and scleroderma tests. Most of my issues are much better now and better managed. I was recently diagnosed with some moderate hearing impairment. The ENT ran a panel to check for Autoimmune Hearing Disease. The ANA was 1:640 & speckled. Everything else came out negative, but a few were very boarder line such as Circulating Immune Complex 19.1 ( borderline range 20-25), RF IgM 6.8 (borderline range  7-9). I'm wondering what's going on and hoping this can mean absolutely nothing.
Tags: ana, negative, lupus, Chest Pain, Autoimmune hearing loss, scleroderma, Sjogren's Syndrome
I am also wondering if doctors even look at that almost borderline results or does this mean nothing?
I think an ANA 1:640 is significant.  But that's my opinion.  Mine has been all over the place as well, but it was not noticed until it was 1:2,560.  Sad!  Now that I'm no plaquinel, it has been negative.  I guess that is good.

I responded to your post in the drs. forum.  Look up info on dermatomyositis.  

Whether the autoimmune hypothyroid can cause a positive ANA, I think it can.  It looks like Dr. Nicholsen misunderstood your question.  How high an ANA that can cause, I don't know the answer to that.  
Thank you! I just saw both of your responses. Yes, I think the doc misunderstood, but I am going to look into all of the options suggested. I continue to have terrible issues of inflammation including a recent bout of episcleritis and now painful swollen lymph nodes in labia and groin. I'm only 40 and feeling old. Rhuemy ran tests and said I don't have RA or Lupus (which is good) so they won't take my on as a patient. My Endo said that's BS. Clearly something is going on and is trying to get me in with a different Rhuemy. I live a small town area and opens are limited. Thank you for trying to help.
It seems that someone has to be almost dead b4 they decide an ANA of 1:640 means anything.  If you had a positive ANA w/o symptoms, I could understand the brush off, but not w/ a list of symptoms.  I agree w/ your dr.  The rhemy should at least agree to follow you for several years b4 they decide it's nothing.