Autoimmune Disorders Community
Diabetes and MS

Diabetes and MS

I have various nerve damage symptoms. I've been a type 1 diabetic 45 years and I also have had MS for 3 years. My neurologist says my MS is the cause my diabetes Dr.  isn't so sure. I tried two MS drugs that just made me sick.  Does it matter what the cause is?  Is there a key for determiningwhich is responsible?
Hi!
Well, if your diabetes is not under control and over the past 45 years, you have had on and off uncontrolled diabetes, then your symptoms could be more due to diabetes. MS shows demyelinating neuropathy. A nerve conduction study can also help differentiate. Also, you will need exetensive testing to check for the effect of diabetes on eyes, kidney, brain etc. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.