Autoimmune Disorders Community
Dr. thinks it's more than just tendonitis

Hello All,
I'm sorry, I know these post come up a lot, but here’s my situation.  I am a thirty year old Caucasian female and I use the keyboard a lot for work and have been having some hand pain.  It occurred to me that I have been experiencing some form of pain for at least 11 months so I decided to go to the (new) doctor.  When making the appointment I assumed I had something along the lines of tendonitis and really just wanted to make sure that I am not doing in lasting damage to my hands.  The doctor ruled out carpal tunnel, but became concerned when I told him about the peak of the pain in December.  I had a very painful knot (it only lasted 3 weeks) in my hand between the thumb and index finger.  Also at least three different times my fingers turned bluish purple (the doctor called it Cyanosis), twice I woke up with blue fingers and once it happened at work.  In December and occasionally since then, the veins, even the small ones, in my hands (palms and fingers) would become very visible for several days at a time, usually accompanied by burning/tingling/itching sensations, I am not really sure how to describe it.   Sometimes my hands will become flushed by turning red and hot.  My more regular symptoms are pain in both hands, but usually worse in the right, I am right handed.  The pain is the worst in the base of the thumbs.  It doesn’t take much of a flare up for the pain to spread to the fingers and wrists, when really aggravated the forearms, then elbows and upper arms.  The pain can wake me up or prevent me from sleeping.  Also, it hurts constantly, but is aggravated by use.
Other than my hand pain, I believe myself to be rather healthy.  I do not have a history of heart or lung problems, I exercise including jogging, healthy weight, no diabetes, no family history of any auto immune diseases, and I don’t have a problem with any of my other joints.
So now, while the doctor said it could still very well be just tendonitis, he is concerned about possible Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, Lyme disease, and who knows what else.  I had an EKG, which was fine, but I am awaiting the results of a chest x-ray, liver and kidney function blood work, and a RF factor test.  He said no matter the results he wants me to see a Rheumatologist.  
I guess my question is if these symptoms are typical of a respective strain and the doctor is being overly cautions or if there really is a potential for a greater problem? Are there any symptoms I should be on the lookout for or any questions I should be asking?  I do have an appointment with a hand specialist in a couple of weeks.  
Thanks for reading and I will appreciate any and all responses.
Hi!
Since the hands and fingers turn hot and bluish, it can be that a blood vessel is compressed at the wrist. Use a good wrist support for computer and see if it helps. It could be the result of poor blood supply as in Raynaud’s disease. If you are a smoker there is a chance that you have Buerger’s disease. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.