Autoimmune Disorders Community
Elevated CRP/sed rate/ globulins...???

Elevated CRP/sed rate/ globulins...???

I was dx "fibro" 7 years ago based on a collection of symptoms that couldn't be explained by other issues due to negative autoimmune panels, though as time has passed my symptoms do not appear to be fibro. Ex- I do not have the tender points, depression, IBS, malaise, etc. I DO have several neurological issues and joint problems, facial nerve pain, plus HSV (chronic cold sores).

I am currently a diagnostic patient at Mayo- undergoing testing for MS and confirming my trigeminal neuralgia, plus a consult for rheumy in March. In addition to this I consulted with an infection control doc who rx'd daily valtrex for my cold sores.

One thing that is lingering is the fact that my CRP and sed rate have been consistently high during these last seven years and within last two years my beta globulins have been high and creatinine low. I have been tested for multiple myeloma and tested negative two years ago. My ANA, SS, scleroderma, and RH factor are all negative. This is quite perplexing. I am apparently in a chronic state of unspecified inflammation. According to all mainline teaching hospitals and diagnostic centers- in fibro only these lab values do not go into abnormal ranges.

So, do any of you have consistently high lab values in either of these categories as related to ONLY fibro? Or have you had high levels at one point then later developed abnormal levels in specific panels for lupus, sojgrens, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, etc?

Thanks!
Hi!
As you already know, normally C reactive protein is undetectable in blood. A level between 1-3 shows moderate risk and a level above 3 shows increased risk for heart problems, infection, inflammation, dental problem, arthritis, cancers etc. Simple viral fevers, bacterial infections, typhoid, etc can result in a higher ESR. Usually, in most diseases diagnosed on basis of a high ESR (tuberculosis, cancers, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, infective endocarditis, etc), the ESR is above 50 or 75.
So, if the ESR is that high, tuberculosis should be thought of as the cause of chronic inflammation. In such long standing cases, usually it is the tuberculosis of genital organs. Please discuss this possibility with your treating doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi eham and welcome to the forum.

When physical and lab results are not available to diagnose your condition,
(your former Fibro Dx gets an F as it was not even close to have met the diagnostic criteria)
there's a good chance that you may be suffering from
a "stealth" pathogenic infectious condition.

Do a search here using the forum's search engine, for Dr. Garth Nicolson, a MedHelp friend and regular contributor.
He's the leading expert in this field, in research , diagnosis and treatment.

I'm asking for latitude from the moderator to allow the following link:
www.immed.org  This is Dr. Garth Nicolson's website

For chronic cold sores you may want to look into supplementing with Lysine and avoiding Arginine rich foods.

Cheers!
Niko