Autoimmune Disorders Community
Eye pain...Please send feedback as to what it could be!

.I have already been diagnosed with MS. I have never had optic neuritis since I was diagnosed. I currently have had horrible pain in my left eye for over a week now. It hurts terribly to move it and even when I have taken a 800mg ibuprofen, if I move it too far in any direction, it hurts. I am taking ibuprofen around the clock. I have had some blurriness but no loss of vision. My eye doctor and neuro are not sure if it is optic neuritis. I go for a MRI on Friday and hope it shows whatever is causing the pain. Last night when I was trying to go to sleep, closing my left eye made the pain spread into the back of my head and behind my ear. Is this typical for ON?  Please help...if it is not optic neuritis, what could it be? I was examined by my eye doctor and he said everything looked fine but he is staying in touch with me. My neuro is 4 hours away but he is the one who scheduled the MRI for Friday. Needless to say, I am a little freaked out. Please...any feedback is appreciated.
Hi!
Well, since you have MS, optic neuritis is a possibility and the inflammation can be reversed with high dose of steroids Other than this, the problem could be a foreign body or glaucoma or any inflammation. It can also be an inflammation of nerve. It could also be poor eye sight as in near or far sightedness.Since you have a headache too, possibility of pinched cervical nerve, trigeminal neuralgia, temporal arteritis, benign intracranial hypertension, hypothyroidism or diabetes causing neuropathy etc too should be looked at. Please discuss with your neurologist and eye specialist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.