Autoimmune Disorders Community
Fever and Exercise

Fever and Exercise

We're not quite sure what I've got, though it looks like an autoimmune disorder.  For the last 3 weeks I've been running a fever of about 100.2 without any other symptoms, just increased chest pain and joint pain (the chest pain I've been having for a year, the joint pain on and off since December).  Does anyone know if it's okay to exercise when you have an autoimmune-related fever, and in general, an autoimmune disease?  Before the chest pains I used to lift weights and do cardio 3-4x a week, but I've been afraid to trigger pain.  Any advice or personal experience would be much appreciated

I can tell you that this is how all my problems started about 5-6 years ago.  I was just recently dx'ed with Lupus.  When I went to the ER with severe aching and this fever of 100.4, the Dr. at that time said he thought I had an autoimmune disease.  I fought for the next 5 years to get the diagnosis.  I also have hypothyroidism, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, DDD, DJD, TMJ, IBS, and on and on.  All of this but IBS and TMJ came after your symptoms and I also got a rash that lasted for almost a year at the same time, with multiple UTI's, and sinusitis.  Right after this I started becoming allergic to several meds. too.  PS.  I never had any chest pains though.
Thanks for your reply.  I understand that these things can take years to diagnose, and I guess you get closer to a diagnosis one symptom (or five?) at a time.  About four weeks ago I started running a fever but at first I was just hot without any other symptoms, just slightly worse chest and joint pain, like I said above, but now I'm achy and tired and feel generally very run down.  Plus headaches w/ very painful neck.  Doc wants to start at square one: blood tests, counts, and cultures, urinalysis, and chest x-ray (I've already been through it all, but with little to no findings: just low positives for anticardiolipin IgM and lupus anticoagulant).  I've got my finger crossed that this fever is simply the symptom of an infection that can be cured with a good dose of antibiotics, but I'm scared that this is actually just the tip of an iceberg...  

What were the important factors for you in getting a diagnosis?  How do you manage your health/symptoms?  Is there anything that you've found especially helps?  How long did you have a fever?