Grave's Disease and elevated liver enzymes
I have over active thyroid indicative of Grave’s Disease. I started seeing a doctor for it back in August or September of 2012. I had to do some scanning which I feel was unnecessary. I now am in medical debt (combined with other hospital feels). I’ve been on a medication and I’m supposed to get blood work every few months and see my specialist but it’s too much money for me right now so I’m trying to get help online here. What would your opinion be for the cheapest way of taking care of my disorder? Should I continue with medication and blood work/specialist visits or is there a better way? Should I get radioactive iodine? Would that be cheaper? I do have bluecross insurance through my dad but I still have a copay. I also have elevated liver enzymes. From blood work a month ago and from blood work a couple years ago. Would this mean I maybe have another autoimmune disease? Would that be more likely than cirrhosis or cancer? Thanks
Hi!
This is a difficult situation to assess on net. Whether the liver enzymes are elevated due to infection or an autoimmune process cannot be said without further tests. Also, even if you undergo radioactive iodine treatment, you may move from a state of hyperthyroidism to a state of hypothyroidism. You will still need blood tests either once in three or six months depending on your thyroid control. Please discuss the best course of action with your family doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.