Autoimmune Disorders Community
Hashimoto?

Hashimoto?

Hi I recently was told by my aunt that I needed to be checked 4 hashimoto disease so I went on friday 4 my testing my lab results came back.as my thyroid preoxidase levels over 4000 & my paperwork said normal levels are 60 or below but my regular dr said I don't have anything to.worry about because my other thyroid levels are normal but I read online that hashimoto disease is often not diagnosed because of this common mistake has anyone ever had their peroxidase levels over 4000 b4?
Some people with Hashimoto's thyroiditis will have high levels like yours or even higher.  My TPO is 1900.  Do you have hypothyroid symptoms? Not everyone does in the beginning but Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a progressive disease where the thyroid antibodies begin to destroy natural thyroid gland protein cells.  Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in developed countries (90% of cases in the US).

Very high elevations of thyroid antibodies may see faster cell destruction and damage to the thyroid gland. Selenium may lowers TPO antibodies but has not been shown to have any effect on Tg antibodies.
A couple of studies on selenium and TPO antibodies..

Greece - October 2010 - Thyroid Journal. In this study, participants who received selenium supplementation for 3 months demonstrated significantly lower TPOAb titers and reported a greater sense of well being and improved mood than those who did not receive selenium.

Turkey -  2006 Journal of Endocrinology.  This study showed a 30% decrease in anti-thyroid antibodies after 3 months of 200mcg per day of L-selenomethionine supplementation for in women with Hashimotos Thyroiditis. The starting average TPOAb was 803 and after 3 months the average was 572.  
I agree with Red-Star what are your symptoms?
Have you considered visiting an Endocrinologist?  PCP's can be good but they know a lot about everything and are not specialists in thyroid and related glands. I have been hypothyroid since my teens and the longer I go the more other endocrine glands are effected also. Finding the right doc is critical to getting help.

The best thing I heard was that your endocrine system is like a symphony, if your thyroid is not working well, one part of the symphony is off beat and over time it throws everything else off beat too and other problems occur. Hopefully you can get the proper meds now and then with the right help can prevent other problems down the road.

The next time you get blood work done ask the doc to add a D3 to it so you can check your level which should be between 50 and 70ml for "optimal health"  D3 supports the immune system and is a common deficiency. Check out Costo, Walmart. Walgreens etc for D3 it is cheap and easy to take. Start at 5,000 IU and recheck blood work 2 times a year. I have my Endo check it at every visit and I see him 2 times a year.
Lots more info at www.vitamindcouncil.org

Good luck
Elbamom