Autoimmune Disorders Community
Hashimoto's & Lupus?

Hashimoto's & Lupus?

I am a 24 year old female, diagnosed with Hashimoto's a little over a year ago. I diagnosed myself and begged my PCP to do a TPO antibodies because I was tired of not having any answers for why I feel terrible all the time, and I was right. My mom just found out her ANA was borderline for Lupus....Would it be a good idea for me to ask my PCP to do an ANA on me as well...I've been taking my Levoxl but still feeling like crap more often then not.

A positive ANA alone is not diagnostic for Lupus. ANA can be positive even in healthy population especially in low titers.

I have hashimotos also and knew that i had something in addition because even after two years on synthroid I still was not feeling any better. Though i do not have lupus, I did have a positive ANA and some other positive antibodies tests but it took years for some of them to turn positive. If you are not feeling well, and you feel something is wrong it is worth pursuing.

Also I suggest switching Dr.s and finding a good internist that listens to you and your symptoms and is insistent on helping you feel better and above all... someone who is patient.  Because if it IS autoimmune related it could take a very long time to come to a solid diagnosis.

Another possibility is that you are not on the right dose of levo. Many Dr.s just want you in range. Most hashi suffers will tell you they feel better when their TSH is on the low side of normal (no higher then 2).
also I forgot to mention:  Positive ANA can indicate autoimmune reaction, but it is non-specific. You can have a positive ANA in low titers with Hashimoto's.
Please find someone who will treat the cause, not the symptom. Your immune system isn't liking something, and attacks it. Your thyroid, joints, the weakest link.
I have met someone with juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (had suffered for 40+ years) who was cured after he found out that he was allergic to dairy and all grains. After switching to a pretty much carb-free diet his antibodies disappeared! He lost the walking stick, learned a new healing art. An amazing man, at over 60.
If you read Dr. Kharrazian's book www.***********.com , he explores the link between gluten and autoimmune disease. There may be many more causes, but you'll want to find out before you live on synthroid and immune supppressants (cancer drugs basically).
Also, western medicine is the only system to believe that hashi's in incurable. Both Ayurveda and Chinese Medicine have success with treating Hashimoto's.
God bless!