Autoimmune Disorders Community
Hashimotos

Hashimotos

Newly diagnosed after a year of horrible symptoms. My antibodies are very high, yet my blood levels are within normal range. I live in Los Angeles where some of the best Dr.'s are, and to my knowledge I have been seeing top docs. The rheumatologist found this, and sent me on to the endocrinologist. My  symptoms have been:
severe tinnitis, pain in elbow joints, panic and anxiety, dizziness, rushes of adrenalin, and bladder pain/urgency.
These symptoms tend to go in some sort of cycle, from one to another that is. I occasionally will get strange red bumps on various areas of my body, mostly forearms , torso, or back, and sometimes even the scalp or behind the ears. I went through every possible kind of doctor and tests imaginable, all with normal results, until the diagnosis of hashimotos was found. I had a brain spect scan done that showed moderate abnormality in the left frontal lobe, which they said is similar to a person with lupus cerebritas. However, I was checked for lupus by a renown expert, and all tests were normal/negative.  Another has suspicion that I may have Hashimotos encephalopathy. I was put on prednisone, which helped a little, but symptoms came back after a month or so. They really aren't the symptoms of Hasimotos encephalopathy that are severe, like listed in symptoms. No cognitive problems whatsoever.I have now been reading that Hashimotos can indeed mimic panic/anxiety, etc..., and that synthroid could help. I have been waking in panic lately, and its debilitating.My endocrinologist does not want medication for me since my blood levels are normal. I am suffering, and need some advice on what to do.  This all started very suddenly. Before all this, I was fine. No anxiety issues, bladder infections...nothing. BTW, I have had bladder tests left and right as well as a cystoscopy and even that was normal. no IC.  Do you think thyroid meds would help me? should I see another thyroid specialist?
Thank you
There is a thyroid disorder forum here on med help. Go there in the future.

The Dr said your labs are normal. In the normal range does not work for everyone. The ranges were derived from average population. Meaning some of these people were at the top and some were near the bottom. Many still have symptoms from mid range to the bottom of the range. This is a fact not a therory.

Its best to look at symptoms and T3 and T4 hormone levels that are measured by the Free T3 and Free t4 blood test. T4 is the storage hormone that is converted in your body to the consumable T3 hormone (the one that fuels your cells). TSH is simply a signal hormone from the pituitary telling the thyroid how much thyryroid hormone to produce - and its not that accurate in treating Hashimoto as the free's are.

You could post your labs with the ranges on the members thyroid thyroid forum here and you will get some very educated feedback. Maybe you could benefit from one or two of the thyroid meds available. We need to see the labs to help you think up a plan if you want one.

take care,
LM