Autoimmune Disorders Community
High ANA levels with no answers

High ANA levels with no answers

I am a relatively healthy 33 year old with no major health issues. Prior to having my first child 5 years ago I can remember feeling tired a lot. In College I would wake up in the morning and be thinking about when and how I could get a nap in that day. The only medications I took was birth control. After college it was hard for me to work a full day without feeling utter exhaustion. I never drank caffeine of any kind and was always a fairly healthy eater and a runner. I have weighed between 100-115lbs and am 5'4 in height. During pregnancy with my last child 4 years ago I was Diabetic but this went away when my son was born. I went on anti anxiety medication when my son was 1 after feeling overwhelmed with trying the maintain a semi perfect life with 2 young children.  I still take 10 mg of Citalopram. about 2 years ago I began to feel light headed a lot and on the verge of passing out very often sometimes I would pass out randomly with little warning. My blood pressure was normally around 92/64. I had a variety of tests done including EKG, MRI, and bloodwork. Everything came back normal except my ANA levels are 1:640 and I had a low  potassium level. I should also mention that around this time I started getting a lot of leg weakness and dull pain in my muscles. They felt like I had just ran a marathon. Mainly at night while trying to sleep which would keep me up but would go away after being up in the morning for a couple of hours. I was referred to a rheumatologist who had no idea what was going on. I have no joint pain or swelling and all tests for Lupus came back negative. A cardiologist recommended I increase the salts in my diet to bring my blood pressure back up, I was put on potassium and all was pretty much dropped.

Now, 2 years later I still have leg pain at night most night and very minimal energy during the day. I feel like it goes in waves. I can have a good couple of months and then be hit with a bad couple of months. Recently I started having headaches when I woke up like a feeling of being hung over and I should mention I rarely drink alcohol any more than 1 drink about 3 times a week. I went to the doc who said now I have high blood pressure. It was 154/90 on average. I was put on a waterpill and had a kidney ultrasound done which was normal. I once again had low potassium and glucose so I was put on potassium and told to make sure I snack regularly but now to watch my salt intake. My BP is now normally 130/80 and no more constant headaches.  I am currently taking the waterpill, potassium, my birth control and the citalopram daily. I am still running and eating right but still have difficultly with fatigue and leg pain and muscle weakness at night I should also mention that summer months tend to be when most of my "flairups" occur. Any idea out there? Thank you!
Hi, I have very similar symptoms you have but I didn't have elevated ANA. I have read that this could be do to an autoimmune problem. I went to a Rheumatologist because of my body pain, headaches, fatigue and low blood pressure and he diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. There is an underlying cause to fibromyalgia but most doctors don't no where  to look. I decided to go to an endocrinologist and have her check over my thyroid hormones, ovarian hormones and everything else. She found I had inflammation of the thyroid (with normal levels) and reactive hypoglycemia. She started me on a low dose of thyroid hormone to see if that would help my condition. After a few months not much change. She then determined that I had metabolic syndrome (also called insulin resistance) through testing and evaluation. I am slightly overweight (40 lbs.), eat healthy, very active and exercise regularly. I know that you are not overweight but, that does not mean you don't have this condition. I was waking up in the morning also feeling like I had a hangover. This is a sign that you have a possible blood sugar problem. I will leave you a message and you can read about this condition and see if it sounds like you.