Autoimmune Disorders Community
IgA level.. please help

IgA level.. please help

Hi there,

I was wondering what this means..
my IgA level came back at 25 (limit is from 0-20).  Could this indicate lupus or is my level too low?  Also, can anyone think of any other autoimmune disorder that would cause this slight elevation?

If anyone can please help me understand this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
anyone?

Hi there I do not believe that we have met yet.
While your IgA level is slightly elevated it is not off the charts.
There are different reasons that IgA can be elevated. Yes!  Lupus could be one of them
but that is not to say what this is. What has your doctor said about your results?

So a few questions for you.....What kind of sx have you been having?
What other tests have you had done?  What prompted you doctor to do testing?

The reason I am asking so many questions is because it helps to get a better understanding of your particular situation.
I'll be looking foreward in your responses.
Until then,
~Tonya
Hi there,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.  No I don't believe we have met.  I'm a 22 year old female.  
I have been having "odd" symptoms lately.. I will make it short.  It all started in September with a kind of "stitch" like pain by my belly button that made it very hard to move.  Went to the ER and had my levels checked and my lipase (pancreatic enzyme) level came back elevated.  By the time the doctor came with the results, I was already better and had no pain so he sent me home.  Since then, my lipase has been elevated (norma is 30-110 mine was as high as 1339 and now is 604 so it has gone down) and my amylase which was 4 times the limit but is normal now.  I took another blood test on thursday so we will see what they are now.  I have had a head CT scan, CT scan of abdomen and pelvis, colonoscopy, ultrasound of abdomen, ultrasound of pelvis, MRI of abdomen and MRCP.  Every test has come back normal.  At first they suspected pancreatitis but I don't have the usual symptoms of that (such as vomiting and diarrhea, pain after eating etc) and all my scans are back normal so they don't think I have pancreatitis.  I am seeing a GI specialist and he has done all kinds of tests to see what could be going on (from celiac to my CA125 and CA19-9 levels) and one thing he said was that my IgA was slightly elevated but like you said, not off the charts.  He said that that can be elevated in IBS so that's why he performed a colonoscopy but it came back normal.  Also my glucose, cholesterol are perfectly normal.  I asked my GI what else it could be from and he said that it may be a "viral" thing so I looked IgA up and saw that it could be lupus as well as multiple myeloma.  I have been having back pain, and a lot of infections lately it seems (throat, ear and apparently a bladder infection, all within 2 months). As well, I have been having muscle soreness as soon as I wake up, so I upped my potassium intake and it seems to be working okay.. but this back pain is still there.  A walk-in doctor said that there was SOME protein in my urine as well as SOME blood (that I can't see with my own eye) so he prescribe apo-sulfatrim but I stopped taking it as I had difficulty breathing.  My GP is testing my ANA, red blood cells, red sate, white blood cells (were normal before).  I also have these skin-colored lines on the side of my tongue that sometimes "flare up" but sometimes they don't.  I don't know what is going on, but I don't feel like myself.
If you have any more ideas, please share.

Thank you once again Tonya.
I forgot to add, I have some "mucus" in my stool.. the GI doctor said that that could be from colitis (and he said that the IgA being a bit elevated would be due to IBS or could be due to that so he performed a colonoscopy but was normal) but I can still see the "white" in the cracks of my stool, but sometimes I don't see it.  I have also been having a lot of mucus build-up in my throat which makes it hard to breathe sometimes.  GP says its not cystic fibrosis as I would have been diagnosed by now and I would have had these symptoms before.  
I just remembered that sometimes I have a rapid pulse but goes back to normal within a couple of hours but the last time I had a sore throat, I could not swallow my own saliva and my resting heart rate was 120 bpm so they performed an EKG at the hospital and it just showed a rapid heart rate but nothing dangerous, so they put me on IV medication to lower it, and it worked.  Doctor said that I was probably dehydrated.  Sometimes it feels like my heart skips a beat but when I feel my pulse, it feels normal.  I am going to be wearing a 24-hour heart rate monitor on May 25 to see if it really is something.