Autoimmune Disorders Community
Knots on fingers, hands, feet, chest pain

I am trying desparatly to find an answer to a question that doctors cannot answer. My mother (40 yrs) has these same symptoms as posted below. Almost exact. The only difference is, her BP is low, not high. I found this post, but there were no replies that were helpful. She has seen several doctors, and has had several tests ran. Her doctors think it is an auto-immune disorder. Most likely lupus. However, with my research, i cannot find that the symptoms are the same as lupus. She also has the possibility of a mutation in her mthfr gene ( i think thats it), we are waiting on the test results. any help would be greatly appreciated. Please read the post below, and either reply to me here, or (preferably) to my e-mail. Jennifer.***@****

Thank you so much.

"i am a 33 year old woman. About 3-4 months ago I was getting knots on my legs, hands & arms. it would be a huge knot that would be there for a day & then gone the next day. This was going on about 2 times a week. They get so bad sometimes that if they are on the bottom of my feet it hurts so bad to walk. Also I have been getting pains in my chest & it feels like my throat is closing...very hard to breath. Dizzy feeling, sweeling of the hands & arms. I was also feeling jittery feeling & get a sore throat alot.

Within the last 1-1 1/2 months the knots have been coming up every other day. My hand has been so swollen that I could not even open a bottle of water. I have also been getting like hives all over my body.

I have no clue as to why I am getting these knots & why the pain on my chest & hard to breath.

Do you have any clue, I have also lost 12lbs with in the last 1 1/2 months & I am by no means trying. "
I don't know what you mean by knots.  Is it a pain that feels like that or are there actual bumps?  All the other symptoms I have either experienced or heard about Lupus sufferers experiencing.  One person who was on here presented originally with hives and was diagnosed as a result.  Sore throats are common.  My hands swell quite a bit.  Chest pain can come from fluid around the heart or lungs.  

With the chest pain and hives I would suggest that she make a visit to the ER when those occur.  They really need to be addressed.  Is she seeing a rheumatologist on a regular basis for testing?  It is important that she be flaring when she goes as it is more likely to show up in her bloodwork and lead to a diagnosis.  She should go in the sun for a few days before, find ways to stress herself (scary movies) and do a lot of physical activity beforehand.  
She does not have hives, i thought i had erased that part... the knots are KNOTS. fluid filled knots. the rheumatologist found one on her leg, and became very worried. since then they have gotten progressively worse. on her knuckles, top of her hands...bottoms of feet very badly...ankles hurt, feet hurt. sometimes beyond the point of walking. numbness in her fingertips, and also a rash that comes and goes, not raised, doesnt itch...and is on the back of her thighs. it is very hard to say how many times that rash has appeared bc it has no symptoms... These symptoms do not seem consistant with lupus...
I saw a knot on her hand the other day that looked like a golf ball under her skin, very round ,but still squishy, not hard...
Oh my, those do seem quite odd.  No, they would not be something I've ever seen associated with Lupus.  I really hope she can get some answers soon.
When was the last time your mother got her cholesterol checked? She may have high cholesterol.
I have autoimmune disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis and autoimmune psoriasis and I have the knots you are talking about too.  Mine are in my feet mostly.  Chest pains can be a symptom of Ankylosing Spondylitis. There are genetic tests you can have run to see if you mom is predisposed to having autoimmune diseases like these. You should take your mom to a Rheumatologist Doctor for testing.  This specialist is probably the only type of doctor that will know what to test for.  That was my experience after 10 years of looking for an answer.  I am on meds now and doing excellent.
It sounds like the symptoms of CREST syndrome. I have just been diagnosed after 9months and several doctors. I have hard knots on my finger joints that are VERY painful and limit the use of my hands. The 2nd rhuemotologist I saw finally diagnosed me. I am starting several meds and will update in 2 weeks on my progress. I haven't been able to sleep and I have constant pain.