Autoimmune Disorders Community
Lip biopsy problems.

Lip biopsy problems.

I had a lip biopsy done on 18 days ago in order to help diagnosis for Sjogrens.
My lip is even more swollen than before and the so called disolving stitiches didnt disolve so I had this out last night.
The pain is still there and there is a raised area about half an inch in diameter that is white with redness and bruising that covers a further area of around an inch or so.  The raised area feels harder where the stitches were and I am very worried that they may need to re operate to take out any salivery glands they feels are 'reacting'.  The dentist that took out the stitches says there is keritanisation.  
What does all this mean and will I need another operation to sort it out?
I do have some numbness as well.
I was told nothing about the complications I have had on the wound site and have little confidence in the Dental Hosptial I went to now.
Can anyone tell me why this has happened, how I can avoid a further operation and if the swelling will ever go down including the hard raised bit where the stitches were and incision.

I would advise anyone who is thinking of having this procedure to consider carefully ALL of the problems that can occur.  If I had known about the possibility of this happening to me I would not have had this lip biopsy.

Any advise would be gratefully received with regards to my question.
Thank you
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your problem. If you have an inflammatory process in the body such as an autoimmune disease then any injury or surgery can ‘act up’ causing more inflammation and induration. This could have happened in your case too. Taking an anti-inflammatory medication and applying ice pack (ice wrapped in a thin cotton cloth) to the swollen area should help bring down the swelling. Do discuss this with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!

Thank you for your reply.  I will put ice on it Dr as you suggest.  I have had it confirmed to me that it has granulated and is still inflamed and have been given steroid cream to put on.
Sadly it is now 3 weeks after the operation so I am unsure of what outcome i will have now.

Many thanks